Sound Issue in JS

Forum for JUNO STAGE
desertf8

Sound Issue in JS

Post by desertf8 »

Ok- Admittedly, I am a novice with synths. I was classically trained and more familiar with digital pianos than synths. I recently purchased the JS to use with a band I am currently playing with. I have been getting a digitized sound with a high-pitched frequency (rather slight but definitely irritating all of us in the band) when the keys are played. It doesn't seem to matter which keyboard patch I am using. I can reproduce the high frequencies by just gently pushing the keys down to the keybed without even sounding the key's pitch. It seems to be worse in the middle of the keyboard (around G above middle C) At first I thought the keyboard was reacting with something external in the practice area but I also find it is doing it when using headphones, as well.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a problem with oscillator filtering or perhaps something else? Please advise.
FanTC

Re: Sound Issue in JS

Post by FanTC »

Look at the Hi EQ, adjust that, I think that might be the problem. Hope that helps.
desertf8

Post by desertf8 »

Thanks, FanTC. I will try that. I added a direct box through the band's PA which seemed to helped some, but I just purchased a Roland KC-550 amp as backline which really makes it noticeable.
Loofahdog

Post by Loofahdog »

I just got a second JS after returning the first one months ago for the same issue that you're having and the new one has it too. Very frustrating because I really like this board. I also have a Gi but the JS has better piano and organ sounds IMO and the keybed is much nicer. I'm about to return it but don't really want to, however that noise is too noticeable in my quiet music room and unacceptable for recording. If I were using it live it probably wouldn't be a problem. Why aren't more people out there talking about this? I may see if I can get one more to try out but it's very exasperating that two completely different units (three counting yours) would have this issue without resolution.
desertf8

Post by desertf8 »

It's helpful to know that someone else knows what I am referring to, Loofahdog. I purchased the extended warranty through Musician's Friend and am in the process of sending mine back for service. After reading your post, I'm not very confident that the board will be any different when returned. It should be easy for a repair center or Roland to hear what the problem is. Adjusting the High EQ on the board didn't help much at all. I can get rid of most of the high pitch if I turn down the high EQ on my amp and add an effects processor on top of that, but why should I have to mute the highs at all? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Loofahdog

Post by Loofahdog »

I got this latest one online from Best Buy for $800 and they say they will take it back at the local store and get me another at no charge. So I guess I'll try one more since it is a great price, but this will definitely be the last. I have TONS of Roland gear and, although it isn't always the best sounding, it is usually very reliable. I guess they all make duds once in a while. I'll keep you posted.
desertf8

Post by desertf8 »

That is a great price! (Of course, if it works right, that is.) It sounds like they may definitely be phasing out of these even though Roland themselves claims they are not when you call them. Thanks for keeping me in the loop when you get the next one. I am driving my band nuts with this pitch oscillation problem (or whatever I should call it!).
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

Can you record the noise and post it? Is the noise always there?
Loofahdog

Post by Loofahdog »

I can't record it because I already returned the unit. Now I'm negotiating with my sister-in-law to trade a Korg M50-61 for her Juno Stage IF it doesn't suffer this ailment (she hasn't noticed it yet but uses it mostly for live performance). I know it's a great deal for her but I have an M50-88 as well so if I can find a "proven" Stage it's worth it to me.

I would describe the sound as a very high-pitched one that is only heard when keys are depressed (like after the piano sound fades) and only when you were in a quiet room. You'd never hear it over a band or even its own sounds.
desertf8

Post by desertf8 »

Mine must be worse than yours, Loofahdog. The band does hear it and it is usually magnified when put through the board. You are right about just depressing the keys. I can make the pitch sound by just pressing a key (the worst for me seems to be in the middle of the keybed- G a fifth above middle C seems to be the worst offender). I don't need to actually sound the note- just gently pressing the key to the keybed is all that is needed. It sounds like a high-pitched computerized tone. The only way I can get rid of it is to completely take out the highs on the board which is no real solution at all. A direct box also doesn't work. I will try to record the sound and post. That was a great idea, ChrisK.
Loofahdog

Post by Loofahdog »

Come to think of it, I've never had it turned up through a large enough system to say for sure if it would be heard over a band. I'm "retired" from banding and the levels are much lower now! ;^) My Gi definitely does NOT make the same noise though - that's for sure.
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

I would describe the sound as a very high-pitched one that is only heard when keys are depressed (like after the piano sound fades) and only when you were in a quiet room. You'd never hear it over a band or even its own sounds.
Do you hear the same noise on different patches (e.g., strings, synths, E-pianos, organs)?

On my Juno Stage, I hear a high-pitched one only on some piano and E-piano patches when I use high velocity. My XV-3080 does that, too. My Clavinova does that, too. IIRC, Korg synths that I used to have did that, too.

For me, it's the high overtones recorded in the samples. When keys are pressed with high velocity, the filter opens up widely and allows all the high overtones to be heard. When I play my Kawai grand piano hard, I hear high-pitched metallic overtones, too.
desertf8

Post by desertf8 »

Nope, its not an overtone issue. This is definitely an electronic sound that can be reproduced by silently pressing a key down. If I carefully press down the G key above middle C (for example) without actually sounding the pitch G, I can reproduce it. I am actually a classically trained pianist getting into electronic keyboards quite late. I'm struggling to accurately describe the sound. The best I can do is to say that it is very high-pitched and "computerized" or "electronic" sounding.