Help for a newbie!

Forum for JUNO STAGE
nos402

Help for a newbie!

Post by nos402 »

My keyboardist just got a Juno Stage 76. He is completely technically inept while I am usually very good with technology but a few things are still eluding me with this keyboard.

First and foremost: I do not understand the CC system controllers. I have been all through the manual and it just doesn't explain well enough.

For example, when I follow the manual's example on how to make S1 control the leslie speed, if I use CC01 like it says to, then it still turns on that fast vibrato in addition to changing the leslie speed.

There also seems to be no way to "ramp" the leslie on, correct? It can ramp between speeds but not ramp from off to on?

Also, the S1, S2 switches are frustrating me a bit. It seems like if I'm playing in patch mode, and I switch patches, the S1, S2 switches remain in whichever state they were last in regardless of the state of the effect. So if I have S1 assigned to the MFX, turn it on, then switch patches, S1 stays lit even if MFX is off on the new patch. Now to turn on MFX I have to turn S1 off then back on.

This is just the beginning of my queries! this thing is great in a lot of ways but really frustrating in a lot of ways as well!

We've just been playing in patch mode, but it seems I have to use performance mode if I want to save S1, S2 states per patch and other parameters like that?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Starting with understanding the CC controller system.
commando

Re: Help for a newbie!

Post by commando »

I am also interested in advice on this subject for exactly the same reasons that you have listed. I agree that the manual does not give adequate information on how to do this. It is not clear to me whether the CC is linked to each Performance or is a System general setting. Judging from the impact noticed when using S1 and S2 it would appear to attach to the patch/performance in some way.

I have wasted hours trying to get Leslie effects attached to various Performances but to no avail. I have managed to alter the paddle acceleration and minimum and maximum paddle revs but been unable to save them to memory or attach them to a Performance. Once I exit from the Performance, even having "written" and "saved", my new settings are lost and ignored and the thing reverts to it's previous factory setting. This type of half-baked software has dogged all JS users but never been addressed by factory. A similar irritation occurs with the "touch" system setting. It is astonishing that an operating system update has not been issued to alleviate these anomalies.

The silly malarky with S1 and S2 buttons either staying on when you want them off, or needing 2 presses to re-instate them is awkward, illogical and beggars belief! This is very annoying whilst playing live and switching between sounds.

Sadly there are lots of glitches like this in the JS. Most of us manage to use the keyboard ok and develop playing techniques to overcome the idiosyncracies.
amokaman

Post by amokaman »

Even after owning a Stage for three years .. I find making some performance setups difficult because there are so many options .. but then that is what makes the Stage special. In System the sys ctrl 1 is set to CC01 modulation .. you need to keep that set .. as is .. elsewise the mod wheel won't work and that effect is good to have on the fly sometimes. So don't use Sys Ctrl1 .. if you do .. you could still turn off the MOD option in the Performance Ctrl ... for a part .

Using the buttons to modify effect parameters on the fly .. example for VK rotary effect

Set sys ctrl 3 to CC02 breath at system level
Copy your organ patch to a user patch ... create a performance with that user patch
In your performance .. edit patch effect and add the VK rotary to MFX
in the MFX Ctrl for the effect
set Sys Ctrl 3 Brake +63

At Performace level set your S1/S2
S1 - Sys Ctrl 3 latch

When you save performance .. current state(on/off) of S1 switch is saved also .. so have button pressed on or not pressed as needed for when you switch to the performance.

All that said .. the organ sounds in the Juno Stage are lame .. not one of it's strong points. Tune the
patch some with other effects .. experiment with layering another organ patch on the performance to get the tone you want.

Good Luck
DJ RAZZ rasco

Post by DJ RAZZ rasco »

Remember the vibrato may be an effect on the orgaan that needs to be turned off completely. It could also be written into the tone via PWM, just some thoughts....