Just ordered a Juno Stage today

Forum for JUNO STAGE
MartyM

Just ordered a Juno Stage today

Post by MartyM »

Needed a decent live board that is not heavy ( back problem ) and wanted 76 notes if poss.

I was in a huge store and I tried almost everything else that is currently available.

Nothing else came close to the quality of the keybed and sounds for that price.

Mox 61 / Krome / M50 all have horrible keybeds, Krome sounded great but just horrid to play and
an almost 2 minute boot up time !!

There was not a single other board with 76 to choose from without paying twice as much at least.

I spent around 90 mins checking it out and it will be here in a week or so.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions then please let me know, the demo board had a couple of
keys that were triggering badly above middle C - so I hope that won't be an issue ?

Cheers,

Marty.
PauloF

Re: Just ordered a Juno Stage today

Post by PauloF »

MartyM wrote:Needed a decent live board that is not heavy ( back problem ) and wanted 76 notes if poss.

I was in a huge store and I tried almost everything else that is currently available.

Nothing else came close to the quality of the keybed and sounds for that price.

Mox 61 / Krome / M50 all have horrible keybeds, Krome sounded great but just horrid to play and
an almost 2 minute boot up time !!

There was not a single other board with 76 to choose from without paying twice as much at least.

I spent around 90 mins checking it out and it will be here in a week or so.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions then please let me know, the demo board had a couple of
keys that were triggering badly above middle C - so I hope that won't be an issue ?

Cheers,

Marty.
If I remember well, some of Juno-Stage boards had that keybed issue too...

Juno-Stage seems a balanced choice but all depends on what type of music you will be playing with the board

With 76 Keys, at this price range here are not much choice I'm afraid...

- Have you tried the Krome 73 ? is its Semi-Weighted Keybed that bad ?
- What about the MOX 88 ?

They are both on the same price range and they are full workstations...
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

Hi,
Krome 73 is same as the 61 - nasty, felt the same as the M50, which was right above on the stand.

Tried the MOX88 also but that was horrible and "clunky" and starting to get too heavy.

I think the Stage is a great choice for the money, there really isn't another '76 note around
at that price and with that quality of keybed / sounds.

Fingers crossed that it's a good choice, three year warranty and 30 day "no quibbles" money back
offer so I think I'm safe :-)

JP80 is staying in the studio ..... TOOOO heavy !

Marty.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MartyM wrote:Hi,
Krome 73 is same as the 61 - nasty, felt the same as the M50, which was right above on the stand.

Tried the MOX88 also but that was horrible and "clunky" and starting to get too heavy.

I think the Stage is a great choice for the money, there really isn't another '76 note around
at that price and with that quality of keybed / sounds.

Fingers crossed that it's a good choice, three year warranty and 30 day "no quibbles" money back
offer so I think I'm safe :-)

JP80 is staying in the studio ..... TOOOO heavy !

Marty.
Maybe you're right... I didn't quite Line the MOX Keybed myself too (61 and 88)
Regarding the Krome...I didn't try one yet, so was just guessing that could be a lot better than the M50... But it seems not.

And you have the "beast" (JP80), so you are ok, but still too heavy for gigging.

Why not an Integra-7 and a good Keyboard Controller? At least you could mimic a lot of the JP80 sounds on stage... That's probably what I would do if I has such a setup at home, when gigging.

Again all depends on what you need/ want to do on stage.
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

That's not a bad idea Paulo, would be quite a bit more money though !
I just need something for some smaller gigs where I take my own gear and setup myself.
I work a lot with a band that has a crew and the keyboard setup is always flown/driven
to wherever we are playing - nice treat, I know :-)

This needed to be decent quality, light and 76 note if poss, so I think I have ticked all
those boxes with the Juno Stage.

Apart from the JP80 and JV/XV racks, I have been a Korg abuser for quite a while, so I
have to get used to the Roland way of setting splits/ layers and FX when it arrives.
I found a few good videos on PooTube that detail some of that.

I must say, in the 90 minutes or so that I tried out the board, I was really impressed with
the basic grand piano / strings / E-Piano and organ sounds, I'm catching the tail end of
the Juno stage "life" so they probably will release a new one any minute, knowing my luck !

Cheers for now, will give a better impression when it's here in a week or so.
Marty.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MartyM wrote:That's not a bad idea Paulo, would be quite a bit more money though !
I just need something for some smaller gigs where I take my own gear and setup myself.
I work a lot with a band that has a crew and the keyboard setup is always flown/driven
to wherever we are playing - nice treat, I know :-)

This needed to be decent quality, light and 76 note if poss, so I think I have ticked all
those boxes with the Juno Stage.

Apart from the JP80 and JV/XV racks, I have been a Korg abuser for quite a while, so I
have to get used to the Roland way of setting splits/ layers and FX when it arrives.
I found a few good videos on PooTube that detail some of that.

I must say, in the 90 minutes or so that I tried out the board, I was really impressed with
the basic grand piano / strings / E-Piano and organ sounds, I'm catching the tail end of
the Juno stage "life" so they probably will release a new one any minute, knowing my luck !

Cheers for now, will give a better impression when it's here in a week or so.
Marty.
Cheers Marty
Good luck for your choice, whatever it might be ;-)
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

The Juno Stage arrived today, box looks very new so I hope that it is a later production
without the keybed problems...... can a serial no tell me when it was built ??

Sounds pretty good, kind of like a JV2080 on steroids in a keyboard version, pianos are great.

I like the action, though getting very soft notes to sound seems a little difficult, even after
playing with the master settings.

Will give it a good running through in the next week or so, but so far so good.

M
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

Just found the production date from my serial number using this site :

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/11/boss-r ... coder.html

Seems to have been made in June 2012.

Hope someone finds this useful ?

Marty.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hey Marty,

I'm sure you will not have the problem with bad key triggering and/or bad velocity response with your keybed. As far as I know the devices with these problems were produced in 2008. I happened to become the unfortunate owner of such a Juno Stage, but it was repaired free of charge, thanks to the dealer and Roland.

I can assure you that the Juno Stage is not a bad choice. To me it has proven to be a trustworthy and very usefull keyboard, at least when you are able and willing to dig deep into the editing features to sculpt every sound you may ever need. The SRX-07 board is still on my wish list by the way, but my XP-30 with SR-JV80-08 board is helping me out with a wide range of classic organ sounds, which I think the Juno Stage lacks.
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

Martijn wrote:Hey Marty,

I'm sure you will not have the problem with bad key triggering and/or bad velocity response with your keybed. As far as I know the devices with these problems were produced in 2008. I happened to become the unfortunate owner of such a Juno Stage, but it was repaired free of charge, thanks to the dealer and Roland.

I can assure you that the Juno Stage is not a bad choice. To me it has proven to be a trustworthy and very usefull keyboard, at least when you are able and willing to dig deep into the editing features to sculpt every sound you may ever need. The SRX-07 board is still on my wish list by the way, but my XP-30 with SR-JV80-08 board is helping me out with a wide range of classic organ sounds, which I think the Juno Stage lacks.
Hi Martijn,

Thanks for the response, mine does seem to be a very "new" production and so far it's all great.
I would also like to install a couple of SRX cards but can't seem to find them anywhere ??
After some weeks now using it, I find it very "in your face" - in a GOOD way, it cuts through and
has a very direct sound, not "wishy washy" if you get my drift?
Lacking a few sounds, hence the SRX thoughts .... damm expensive for 10 year old samples
though !!
Marty.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Depending on the SRX board, the samples are even up to 17 to 20 years old as some of the boards contain 3-4 of the older SR-JV80 boards (SRX06 is composed of SR-JV80 Orchestral from 1992,OrchestralII from 1999 etc.). Still, if I compare some strings of the SRX06 to the strings in the Yamaha Motif XS, the old ones from Roland are still more realistic! So I think the high prices for used boards are justified.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

specialplant wrote:Depending on the SRX board, the samples are even up to 17 to 20 years old as some of the boards contain 3-4 of the older SR-JV80 boards (SRX06 is composed of SR-JV80 Orchestral from 1992,OrchestralII from 1999 etc.). Still, if I compare some strings of the SRX06 to the strings in the Yamaha Motif XS, the old ones from Roland are still more realistic! So I think the high prices for used boards are justified.
Even being old, SRX06 sounds are still astonishing!!
Better than that just SuperNatural!
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

That's what I say. I'm a big fan of the SRX06. More than 400 versatile patches and the majority of them still high-quality for a hardware instrument
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I also own a Roland XP-30 with the "Keyboards of the '60's and '70's"-expansion, and I love the sounds in this board, even though it's an 'old' board. I'm considering to add these sounds to my Juno Stage too in the form of the SRX-07 board, mainly for its Hammond organ sounds, which I think the Juno Stage lacks. Does anyone have the SRX-07 in their Juno Stage? I think due to the extra effects the Juno Stage has over my XP-30 the sounds will come out even better. Can anyone confirm this?
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

True, I have a few of the older JV boards in my old trusty 2080, Session, Keys of 60's/70's, Vintage
synths? and HipHop.

I never had the orchestral boards as I used to use an EMU 6400 with a decent library (east west)
for those sounds, late 90's into 00's

I think the Vintage synths and an orchestral SRX would be perfect, I don't have much use for organ
sounds, the few it has would be fine.

M.