SRX 07

Forum for JUNO STAGE
specialplant

Re: SRX 07

Post by specialplant »

With a Fantom XR without SRX boards you woudn't gain much in addition to the Juno Stage. Most of the samples are the same (but you get a sampler). Instead of the Motif ES rack, I would rather recommend the MoX6 (although there is no rack version), it has the exact Motif XS waveROM, twice as much as the ES, and only weighs 7kg.
francoran

Post by francoran »

The problem is that MOX6 has just 61 keys and I need all the 76 of the JS that is also very light to carry around. Maybe a XS rack would be a better choice than ES to complete JS sounds, but more expensive indeed. I don't want a pletora of sounds, but just a very good few. Then I could always treat them at my needs. Besides even motif ES has 128 poliphony voices and eight (!) effects for each performance and a lot of user memory. Not very bad for a machine that you can find for less than 400 bucks and I would add just 4 Kg at my bag.
alpha_C

Post by alpha_C »

In terms of sounds range Motif XS is much better than Motif ES.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Today I found an SRX-07 on the dutch version of e-bay. I managed to get it for €126,75 (about 167 USD) including shipping, CD-ROM and original packaging! When all is well, it will be here on monday. Love to check out all the sounds! I'll let you know if it was worth it.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Very good choise and very good price, too.
This card is a must, I don't like all the sounds, but many of them are terrific!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I received the srx-07 today and I must say it's a nice addition to the internal sounds of the JS. I also have an XP-30 with SR-JV80-08 added to it, so a lot of patches sound really familiar to me, but sound better in the Juno Stage than in the XP-30, probably because of better patch programming. For me the most important reason to buy the srx-07 was to have the Hammond B3 sounds on the Juno Stage as well.
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

I think I will go for a SRX07 card as well. I don't really know what number of new samples it adds to the JS
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

I am wondering if SRX07 is finally a good choice. Today it is very expensive : 260 euros... I could sell JS and buy a Kurzweil SP4-7, which has fewer sounds but certainly better piano sound.
Difficult choice
francoran

Post by francoran »

Not a good choice at that price, if you find a used one for not more than 150,00 euros it would be fine. For 260,00 euros you may have another keyboard or a good expander, both used, of course.
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

I had a SRX-07 mounted on my old RD-700SX piano. Very good complement to the internal wavetable, and I'm sure it would be the same on the JS, but unfortunately when I sold the piano (too heavy) I did not plan to get the JS and also gave the SRX-07 away.
But I agree, 150€ for a used card would be fine, but 260€ is really too much!
I would think twice before replacing your JS with a SP4-7 (and you know, I'm a proud Kurzweil user), a better choice would be a PC3LE7 or a used PC3-76, the keybed is sooooooo better ;)
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

Cecchino, I agree but PC3LE7 or PC376 are too heavy
I have a FANTOM FA76, approx 16 18 kg and too heavy
I don't use FANTOM FA76 anymore, but as I remember it is better sounding than the JUNO STAGE (more punch) maybe preamp is better. I will try it again with band one day to compare
I am seduced by SP4/7 for price and ARTIS for more waves and Program.
But both of them are somewhat like 128MB memory and only rompler
cecchino

Post by cecchino »

I see, I have the same problem with heavy keyboards (getting old).
At this point I have nothing to suggest unfortunately.
oliv928

Post by oliv928 »

a good final solution would be:
- Choose a midi keyboard ( but few light good models in 76keys)
- Mount a Rapsberry with a light system, adequate screen, nice USB sound card
- Build a nice box for everybody to fit inside
- Put adequate VSTs in the Rapsberry such as : Pianoteq for pianos, Nice light and simple rompler using Soundfont which is lighter than Kontakt

That will be my next DYI project
(Last one was to design and build decent vintage 3 way speakers with 30cmWoofer for round and soft 80s sound ! I love them, and they cost me 300euros for the pair)

Date of today, i will try to manage and tweak JS or FANTOM FA, or maybe sell some old keyboards and by an ARTIS or SP4/7 which seems not so bad for several sound types, and definitly excellent for piano sounds !

TBD