SRX 07

Forum for JUNO STAGE
smallface

SRX 07

Post by smallface »

Hi,
today I bought a SRX 07 Expansion and installed it into the juno stage. I can use all sounds, but after pressing the category buttons the display jumps back to the user patches.
Is it possible to sort the patches so that (for ex.) by pressing the Key/Org-category I can see all keyboards and organs of the user patches, the Presets and the SRX-Patches?
I owned an XV-88, and after updating the firmware, the sounds were at the right place: all organ sounds listed at the Org-category a.s.o.
Is it necessary to make a firmware-update with the juno stage,too?
MartyM

Re: SRX 07

Post by MartyM »

I will find out soon as I just picked up the same card :-) will be here in a few days.
I don't think there has been a software update for the Stage for a long time.

M.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MartyM wrote:I will find out soon as I just picked up the same card :-) will be here in a few days.
I don't think there has been a software update for the Stage for a long time.

M.
Exactly, nothing for the Stage
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

smallface wrote:Hi,
today I bought a SRX 07 Expansion and installed it into the juno stage. I can use all sounds, but after pressing the category buttons the display jumps back to the user patches.
Is it possible to sort the patches so that (for ex.) by pressing the Key/Org-category I can see all keyboards and organs of the user patches, the Presets and the SRX-Patches?
I owned an XV-88, and after updating the firmware, the sounds were at the right place: all organ sounds listed at the Org-category a.s.o.
Is it necessary to make a firmware-update with the juno stage,too?
Same deal here, all patches come up fine - and sound really good BTW but ... no way to sort
by category I'm afraid.
I will do some editing, finding my most loved patches and re=save to the user bank, perhaps then
the cat search will be a little more useful - not having to use all in the SRX bank.
MM.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Hi people,
I have something to say here about categories searching. If you have a patch in a performance, you can go in PartWiew, select that pach and press Enter. Then you will see a list of all patches in that category and even other similar categories, i.e. if you choose an organ and then press enter it will appear patches of organ, accordion and harmonica categories from preset, GM, user, XP-A and XP-B banks. Very useful, isn't it?
MartyM

Post by MartyM »

francoran wrote:Hi people,
I have something to say here about categories searching. If you have a patch in a performance, you can go in PartWiew, select that pach and press Enter. Then you will see a list of all patches in that category and even other similar categories, i.e. if you choose an organ and then press enter it will appear patches of organ, accordion and harmonica categories from preset, GM, user, XP-A and XP-B banks. Very useful, isn't it?

Good to know, thanks :-)

Marty.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Me too, I have this espansion board in my JS and it sounds great to me! Now I have a free slot for another SRX board and I am wondering if SRX-03 could add something more for brasses, guitars and synths, as it is a board from 2002 (more than 10 years ago!). Do you think it could still be a good value?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Take a look (and listen) here: http://www.synthmania.com/srx-03.htm
and see (and hear) for yourself. Don't know if it adds that much...
francoran

Post by francoran »

Thank you Martijn for the link.
Very beautiful, but actually SRX-03 doesn't seem to add anything special to the sounds already inside the JS and SRX-07 together. I think that the free slot for a second board will stay free at the moment !
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

I used to have the SRX03 for my SonicCell for a while, but if you only have two slots, there are more versatile boards like the 07, my favorite 06 and the 09, which each have 400 patches, a lot of them good. However, the SRX 03 contains newer samples made after 2000 and having more ROM space per sample, but I never felt that the sounds benefit very much from this fact. To my ears, some really good samples in the SRX03 are acoustic guitars, electric guitars, some e-pianos, a great Miles Davis like mute trumpet and (compared to the generally weak Roland sax sounds) the honky tenor and baritone sax. But the SRX07 has a very nice tenor sax,too (and remarkably, its sample is from the 1996 session board!).
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

francoran wrote:Me too, I have this espansion board in my JS and it sounds great to me! Now I have a free slot for another SRX board and I am wondering if SRX-03 could add something more for brasses, guitars and synths, as it is a board from 2002 (more than 10 years ago!). Do you think it could still be a good value?
You have to consider the age of the original samples. So the SRX 07 samples are much older than the SRX03, as it is composed of old SR-JV80 boards while the SRX03 had completely new samples.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Right specialplant,
but what I meant is that JS come after the SRX-03 and so maybe some sounds of this one board were installed in JS, too. In fact, even though some patches sound very good, as you said, it seems to me that 03 doesn't add that much, expecially if I have an SRX-07 already installed. I think is better that I wait a little to see which board I really need for the second slot.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

OK, I just wasn't sure it was clear that the SRX07 samples are older. I wouldn't choose the combination 07+03 either. I'm a big, big fan of SRX06, but if you don't need symphonic sounds, it's probably less helpful. The 09 is extremely versatile too, with a lot of guitar and brass sounds (some taken from the SR-JV80 Latin, which is from 2000, so not too old).
Besides The Synthmania website, have you checked Roland's demos on Soundcloud? There are lots of SRX demo sounds there now!
About the question whether SRX sounds are already part of the Juno preset ROM sounds: I'm quite sure there are nearly none! Roland has always been 'stingy' keeping the SRX sounds separate from the instrument ROM, at leasr as long as they had instruments with SRX slots, in order to be able to sell them expensively. They started to include SRX sounds with the Fantom G and the world section of the GW8, but not in the Junos (I had a Stage myself, it is nearly the same ROM as SonicCell).
francoran

Post by francoran »

For my needs (pop, rock and jazz) SRX-07 is almost perfect. Maybe its natural brother (or sister?) will be the SRX-09, I listened its demo at Synthmania and I like it very much. What I said about duplicate sounds I didn't mean really duplicate, but very similar, so I decide not to get the SRX-03, because it only offers 128 patches of sounds not very different than those already inside the JS and 07. Then I would learn as soon as possible to manipulate sounds at my needs and that would be very great !
francoran

Post by francoran »

Another chance to have more sound, instead of taking an expansion board, i could take at almost the same price a used expander like Fantom XR or Motif ES with the advantage of the huge sound library created for these two machine. Maybe a Motif would be more complementary.