swell sound

Forum for JUNO STAGE
francoran

swell sound

Post by francoran »

I don't know if the name "swell" is right, I have a static patch that I would like to increase progressively in 3 or 4 seconds from a low volume to its maximum, automatically. Have someone a hint about which parameters do I have to change?
Martijn

Re: swell sound

Post by Martijn »

Hi Francoran,

Do you mean by 'swell' a longer attack on the sound every time you strike a key? Then you need to increase the attack of the sound. When you ask such a question I presume you are not familiar with sound editing? The attack of the volume can be found as parameter T1 in the TVA envelope for each seperate tone in a patch. The sound will increase in time 'T1' to level L1 and so on. For 3 to 4 seconds I guess you need to set T1 to about 110. Please let me know if this works for you.

Grtz. Martijn
francoran

Post by francoran »

Thanks Mrtijn,
The effect I mean with "swell" is a sort of that one you can listen in this video at point 2.42, I got the sound but it doesn't increase like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqc8BdGlxGg
I am not on the keyboard at the moment and I have to wait this eveneing to try your suggestions, be sure I will let you know if it works.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Francoran, to me it sounds more like the cutoff was turned down a bit and then turned up after a couple of seconds. This makes the sound brighter as cutoff is turned up. That can be done manually or programmed into the patch. I think Martijn answered the question initially asked but I really think there is some cutoff manipulation going on. Perhaps a bit of a slower attack time and then the cutoff kicking in.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Hi everybody,
thanks Howards for your reply. As I told Martijn I already have a patch to start from, it is the GM 181 "sweep pad" that seems to have the cutoff at right value. Now I set levels 1, 2 and 3 in TVA env at 97, 107 and 127. It seems to work fine, tomorrow I will try the sound with the band. By any chance if I had to reprogram the cutoff, where will I have to act?
howardS

Post by howardS »

I think I am perhaps not making myself clear, francoran. I am suggesting that perhaps you want to adjust the cutoff so that it sounds less bright as you strike the note but then increases over time. If you want to play with that setting have a look at the TVF parameters on page 107 of the Juno Stage manual.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Let me add that I am trying to say that if you like how the patch sounds now then you may want to reduce the time it takes to get to the current brightness. To do this I think you need to play with the T1 parameter so that it starts less bright and then swells to full brightness.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Ok HowardS,
I have just changed the T3 value in TVF ENV and it looks better, the sound increases and becomes brighter at the end. I look forward to see how it works with the band tomorrow. Anyway, now I have some good points to look at if something is going wrong with this patch. Thank you HowardS and Martijn, I hope to see you often around here.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great. The more you play around with all these settings the better you will get at creating the sound you need. See you again soon.

Howard