Weird Sound Issues with Juno Stage

Forum for JUNO STAGE
DoctorG

Weird Sound Issues with Juno Stage

Post by DoctorG »

Hi Guys,

I've started noticing that certain patches have a weird sound associated with them. Its rather hard to describe, but its like a digital scratching /tinkling sound that extends after the note. (Kind of reminiscent of latency probs I've had with some virtual applications). Its very pronounced on some patches such as acoustic piano and strings. On most its not there at all. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it is or how to cure it? Its really noticeable through the PA system whether using a Line input, DI or mic.

I have tried using different amps and that makes no difference and its apparent on all outputs?

Any one any ideas?

DoctorG
Martijn

Re: Weird Sound Issues with Juno Stage

Post by Martijn »

Hi DoctorG,

You mention you have this problem with only certain patches. Can you tell with which of the preset patches this problem occurs? Is it only when you play the sound really loud over a PA system or can you also hear it on a headphone connected directly to the Juno Stage? Please let me know, I will have a listen to it on my own device.

Grtz, Martijn
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

It's worse in the piano setting ( or any piano patch) and with strings. I can't hear it over headphones, but it is evident over my Roland amp. I have tried using a couple of my bass amps and even a Marshal valve state guitar amp and its audible through the too. It seems to be worse with polyphonic patches. single voices ( solo string, solo brass etc) are fine as are synth patches. Unfortunately, I use a lot of piano and string sounds!

DrG
francoran

Post by francoran »

Try to use the only left out and set pan pot in the mixer or ampli at the center. If you still listen the noise, change the jack cord. If neither works it could be something wrong in your JS. Have a good luck!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I'm sorry, but I don't have any amps available at the moment, and since you can't hear it over the headphones I can't check it for you. Maybe a stupid question, but could it be a form of overdrive/distortion? Maybe you need to turn down the low frequencies a bit or even the overall output volume. I connect my synths to a small mixer and use the balanced output to connect to the stage mixer. Our mixing man has never noticed these sound artifacts you described and I can't hear them on the occasional recordings we make. Some songs are only with piano and a female singer, so I would have noticed it I guess.
Maybe something's wrong with the line outputs of your Juno Stage? Hard to imaginge, because other sounds don't have the problem.
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

Thanks Guys,

I'll have a go with your suggestions and see how I get on. My concern is there is a fault developing with the output stage, but as you say Martin, why not on all the sounds and why has it started now as its never been noticeable in the past? Something has changed?

Cheers all.
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

Incidentally, I did go into the System menu and check the output gain and its fine. The volume is also OK. It doesn't sound like a distortion, more like a digital spill over?

As I said earlier, its actually very hard to describe but just to make sure it wasn't my overly critical imagination I have had a few punters check it out for me and everyone agrees it is there, is clearly audible and isn't easliy defined or described!

Guess I am just lucky :)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hey DoctorG,

English is not my native language (as you might have noticed), so I had to look up 'punters' and I must say I'm very anxious to know which of the descriptions on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punter) you are referring to. :) I'm Dutch so I only knew it as a flatbottom ship.
On topic: Maybe you are too critical. Are you recording or only playing live? Do you really think a live audience would notice these weird sounds? Is it possible to record them and post them somewhere for others to hear? I'd love to understand what you mean exactly.