Going stereo in a live set up

Forum for JUNO STAGE
francoran

Going stereo in a live set up

Post by francoran »

I know it's easier and safe going mono in a live set up, but I'm wondering if a little touch of panpotting the single patches of a performance could be possible, like this setting:
1. pad e strings I set them at L 40 about (scale from 0 to 127)
2. brass at R 30 about
3. piano, organ and rhythmic parts (sequences) L or R values between 5 and 7
4. all solos at L or R values from 3 to 5
francoran

Re: Going stereo in a live set up

Post by francoran »

No one interested in live panpotting... ?
What do you think about letting all the pan in the JS performance at zero and going stereo to the mixer with two cables L and R and both the pan all opened, one at L and the other at R?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

francoran wrote:I know it's easier and safe going mono in a live set up, but I'm wondering if a little touch of panpotting the single patches of a performance could be possible, like this setting:
1. pad e strings I set them at L 40 about (scale from 0 to 127)
2. brass at R 30 about
3. piano, organ and rhythmic parts (sequences) L or R values between 5 and 7
4. all solos at L or R values from 3 to 5
I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but for the last 20 years I always sent a stereo signal to the main mixer and L was only sent to the left speakers and R only to the right. In an ideal PA-setup and good PAN-settings in the synths patches the sound can sound really wide and phat at a gig. When the PA-setup is not ideal, the main mixing PAN-potting can be changed to L = about 50% left and R = about 50% right, so you do not 'spread' the stereo completely.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Thank you Martijn for the answer,
but can you explain what you mean by "ideal PA setup" ?
I usually set to the center all the pan pots inside the JS performance with the two pan pots on the mixer all opened one at L and the other at R and I have the same signal in both the speakers and not spread at the sides. Someone say not to close the pan pots on the mixer not even at 50 %, because in the mono sum of the two channel some frequencies could disappear. So you disagree this opinion...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Francoran,

By 'ideal PA-setup' I mean where both the left and right speakers are at the same distance from the listening audience. Most of the times (in my experience) this is not the case. When sounds are too 'wide' or too far to the left or right, not all listeners will hear all of your sounds. In that case you can set the PAN on the main mixer to about 50% for left and right. When your mixing desk is well balanced and all cables are wired in the right way, there should be no phase-shifting, so all frequencies should add up perfectly.
francoran

Post by francoran »

All right,
it's good to know it.
Thank you
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

francoran wrote:All right,
it's good to know it.
Thank you
You're welcome. Please try it for yourself and let me know if you had good and/or bad experiences with it.