master volume pedal

Forum for JUNO STAGE
francoran

master volume pedal

Post by francoran »

I am a beginner about the use of an expression pedal (EV5)and by now I just want it to control the master volume when I play. From the Menu System I assigned the control CC11: Expression to the pedal and it works fine when I play a performance or a single patch, but when I change performance or a patch the master volume jumps to the max level and I have to give a little kick to the pedal to reset the right value. Assigning CC07 to the pedal is even worst because the pedal resets at the same volume all the patches inside the performance.So I decided for the Expression mode, but I am not very happy with it, what if I forget to touch the pedal at any change of patch or performance in a live gig? I guess that many of you know what I am talking about.
My idea now is to try an analog pedal (one of those for guitarists) between the L/R output of JS and the mixer. In another 3d I read that David Sancious uses analog pedals to control the volume of his keyboards. What do you think about it? I don't think he plays anymore analog synths there must be another reason.
JunoJohn

Re: master volume pedal

Post by JunoJohn »

Set Patch Remain to ON. This prevent CC's from jumping in value.

I think you select Menu-->System-->Common-->Patch Remain to set it, but I don't have a Juno-Stage.
commando

Post by commando »

I struggled trying to make the EV-5 pedal work satisfactorily as a master volume pedal but got exactly the same symptoms that you are getting. It is unrelated to Patch Remain. Every time you change patches, performances or favourites, the volume shoots up to maximum, until you move the pedal by the slightest amount. The EV-5 is absolutely useless and unacceptable as a volume pedal. I complained to Roland via their shop in Eastbourne but got nowhere. They either don't understand how bad this fault is, don't care or sweep it under the carpet, like many other glitches.
The only way you will make any sense of controlling the volume is by using a BOSS FV 500L foot pedal. You will need two leads connecting the Roland JS to the pedal and two more from the pedal to the stereo amplifier inputs. It works like a dream.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Thank you for the advise commando.
Anyway I don't think it's a Roland EV5 problem, but a midi problem with every midi pedals. Maybe it's for it that Sancious uses only analog pedals (if my source is right).
Hi JunoJohn, at this moment I have not JS with me, this evening I'll try your suggestion but I am a little skeptic.
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

I use FV 500L and it works ok.
Of course the analog way.
francoran

Post by francoran »

JunoJohn wrote:Set Patch Remain to ON. This prevent CC's from jumping in value.

I think you select Menu-->System-->Common-->Patch Remain to set it, but I don't have a Juno-Stage.
Hey JunoJohn,
sorry to have been skeptical, I can't believe it, but it does work!
Thank you very much!
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

You are welcome. I'm glad it works for you!
Vonnor

Post by Vonnor »

I am using a Yamaha FC-7 with the tip/ring swapped. The pedal was difficult to disassemble but once done I just un-soldered the red and white wires and re-soldered them to the opposite respective potentiometer tabs. Works very smoothly now to control volume.

~ vonnor
francoran

Post by francoran »

I suppose you also set Patch Remain at ON in the Menu-->System-->General
Vonnor

Post by Vonnor »

Yes I do. That forces the volume position of the pedal to take precedent over any patch volume setting when the patch is changed.
commando

Post by commando »

Recent suggestions relating to 'Patch Remain' made me re-check my own settings but I found that I had already set 'Patch Remain On'. So, out of curiosity, I re-connected my EV-5 pedal and tried again, trying both CC7 and CC11 expression setting. Changing 'Patches' up or down worked fine. The volume pedal stayed in control correctly. But changing 'Favourites' up or down gave me the same old unacceptable symptoms of an initial maximum volume until the pedal is kicked.
Maybe I am still setting something wrong. If so, please advise me. But all my live show sets are stored in the 'Favourite Banks' and the EV-5 still screws up the volume, 'patch remain' or not - useless on stage.
I will be sticking with my nice big progressive reliable BOSS FV500L.
JD Kross

Post by JD Kross »

Great discussion. I'm currently planning to buy EV-5 to control master volume. Can I also use it for aftertouch function?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Yes you can. As a matter of fact, I do. And for every patch (or even tone) you can assign some different parameters to the expression. For some patches I use it to control volume, for some organ sounds I use it as the rotary slow/fast switch, and for many pads I control the filter cutoff with it. Works fine and you can set minimum and maximum levels as you desire when you know your way around the control-, patch-, performance-, and EFX-parameters.
JD Kross

Post by JD Kross »

Martijn wrote:Yes you can. As a matter of fact, I do. And for every patch (or even tone) you can assign some different parameters to the expression. For some patches I use it to control volume, for some organ sounds I use it as the rotary slow/fast switch, and for many pads I control the filter cutoff with it. Works fine and you can set minimum and maximum levels as you desire when you know your way around the control-, patch-, performance-, and EFX-parameters.
Wow, I must get one now!!! Thanks Martinjn.
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

Roland doesn't equalize volume of the keyboard from patch to patch anyway, so what's the big deal with having to re-adjust the pedal to the correct volume after a patch change? It's not like the volume would be set correctly even if it worked the way you prefer since you have to adjust volume when you adjust patch anyway.

jalbert