master volume pedal

Forum for JUNO STAGE
commando

Re: master volume pedal

Post by commando »

The 'big deal' is apparent if you play live on stage and store your song compilations in the 'Favourite' banks. Every time you change Favourites, the next one comes in at full volume when using an EV-5 pedal, until you move the pedal a bit. Obviously no two patches are identical in volume level but I am often changing from one Favourite sound into another fairly subdued sound, only to find that it blasts out at full bore even though the pedal is less than half open or even fully backed off! Changing from patch to patch does not cause this anomaly when using the EV-5 but changing from Favourite to Favourite does - big time!
I use an average of 15 different Favourites on most live shows. Each Favourite has reconstructed the keyboard layout into sections that have split points in different places. The use of more than 10 patches and 4 splits in each Favourite is fairly typical. Learning all these variants is quite challenging. The EV-5 adds the extra unwelcome challenge of a volume pedal that initially ignores me and allows the follow-on Favourite to commence at full volume..
No Thanks.
The analogue Boss pedal is the only one I will use on stage.
francoran

Post by francoran »

I think that while we wait for an improbable update that solves this problem, it is better not to use favourite banks on stage, better go in performance mode if you only have the EV-5
commando

Post by commando »

The problem then arises that, if only using Performances, I cannot change quickly enough from one Performance to the other during a song. On some songs I flit between three Performances. This would be too clumsy and risky if I had to dial or index to the next desired Performance. The Favourite banks are ideal. I can arrange them in convenient groups and simply hit a button. Hey Presto! I am straight into the next performance, and so on.
Also the analogue Boss pedal is a big solid lump that does not slide away from you when you dab it, unlike the lighter EV-5, which does.
As Francoran rightly surmises, we are unlikely to get a software update to fix this issue.
francoran

Post by francoran »

For me it's easier because I use one performance for each song with the right splits and layers, then if I need a change during a song I use a track of the performance, usually the first one, as a Jolly for the patches in the user memory that I set before in the right order, just a click up or down on the number of the patch and that's it! Maybe it is not a professional approach but it has worked fine to me, so far.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Folks!

I have never needed to use a real volume pedal, because I make sure all patches and performances I use are at the desired level. The only way I use the EV-5 is to increase volume (increase level with a certain amount when the pedal is pressed down) for solo's, adjust filter cut-off in some synthpads, switch rotary speed of rotary-simulator, and switch sounds (by increasing level of one patch and decreasing level of another patch). The pedal going into default setting when switching favorites is an advantage for me, so I wish to keep it that way. For anyone who needs a real volume pedal all the time: use a real volume pedal. :-)

Greetings, Martijn