S1 switch problem

Forum for JUNO STAGE
francoran

S1 switch problem

Post by francoran »

Hi everybody,
I have set an organ patch in the lower part of a performance with a rotary effect and I set the switch S1 with SYS CTRL 3 to have the speed at +34. When I select the performance and then I push S1 to have that speed, it lits on but nothing more happens, the rotary speed remains the same. But if I go to Edit and select the lower part with the organ patch and then push S1, it works fine and the rotary speed changes. Not very easy, it seems to me and I wonder if there is a way to activate S1 without selecting the part before. I really hope that you have a better solution.
Martijn

Re: S1 switch problem

Post by Martijn »

Hi Francoran,

I did this many times, not only for the rotary effect, without any problem, so it must be possible to save your selection of the part which the controls are affecting. I can't recall how I did it, and I don't have my Juno Stage here at the moment, but this is what the manual tells you (I think only the last part is imporant to you)

In Performance mode
Before you continue with the following procedure, prepare the patch to which you want to apply the rotary effect. Make settings as described in steps 2 and 3 of “In Patch mode.”

1. For the desired part of the performance, select the patch you prepared above.
As our example in this explanation, we’ll use part 2 (or LOWER).

2. Assign the performance parameter “Switch 1” to “SYS CTRL 1 SRC.” * Set the system control number (SYS CTRL) to match the value you specified for “Source” in step 3–5) of “In Patch mode.”
1) Hold down [SHIFT] and press [S1]. A setting screen will appear.
2) For “Switch 1,” set “Assign” to “SYS CTRL 1 SRC.”
3) Press [EXIT] to access the PERFORM PLAY screen.

3. Make effect settings.
1) Press [EDIT] and select “EFFECT EDIT.” The EFFECT ROUTING screen will appear.
2) In the EFFECT ROUTING screen, make the following settings.
• Set the part number in the upper left to “PART 2 (or
LOWER).”
• Below the part number, set “OUTPUT” to “MFX.”
• Below “OUTPUT,” set “MFX SEL” to “1.”
• Set the “MFX1” Source to “P 2 (or LO)” (the part you selected in step 1). When you make this setting, the MFX Type will indicate “21: ROTARY.”
3) Press [EXIT] several times to access the PERFORM PLAY screen.

4. Use [S1] to apply the effect.
1) In the PERFORM PLAY screen or PERFORM SELECT screen,select part 2 (or LOWER). The [S1] effect will apply to the current part; select the part to which you want the effect to apply.
2) Turning [S1] on/off will switch the speed of the rotary effect. If you want to keep these settings, save them in the performance
(p. 133).

I recall that after saving the performance, the same part will be selected when you reload the performance. If you find out it's different, I'll be happy to put some time in it to find out how I did it exactly.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Hallo Martijn,
of course I made all the steps as you explained, the same that I already saw in the manual. But, always, when I load that performance I have to select the part 2 before activate the S1 switch. It is the only way it works, nothing to do. Thank you very much, anyway.
francoran

Post by francoran »

francoran wrote:Hallo Martijn,
of course I made all the steps as you explained, the same that I already saw in the manual. But, always, when I load that performance I have to select the part 2 before activate the S1 switch. It is the only way it works, nothing to do. Thank you very much, anyway.
P.S.
Hey Martijn,
I got an idea, why don't you upload here a performance with an organ patch and the fast rotary assigned at the S1 switch? Maybe it could be an easier way for you to show me how it works. I am still very interested about it
francoran

Post by francoran »

Martijn wrote:Hi Francoran,

... (I think only the last part is imporant to you)
I recall that after saving the performance, the same part will be selected when you reload the performance. If you find out it's different, I'll be happy to put some time in it to find out how I did it exactly.
You are right Martijn,
this point is the most important for me, because when I recall the performance the part selected by default is always the upper (or part 1). So if I want to apply the fast rotary with the switcth S1, and don't want to explore all the parts to find where is the organ part before applying it, I have to set the organ always at the first part (upper) of the performance. Is it right? I also noticed that all factory performaces when selected have the part 1 (or upper) by deafault in perform play. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that if I want for example to recall a performance with already the part 2 or 3 or 4 and so on, selected instead of always the part 1 in perform play it is not possible, isn't it?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Francoran,

At the moment my JS is in the bands truck, and I won't be getting it home in the next few days, so I can't investigate this at the moment. As soon as I'm on to the solution, I'll let you know and I'll try to upload a performance. Btw, have you tried setting the mfx-source to performance instead of part and copy all parameter settings of the rotary-effect from the patch-mfx to the performance-mfx? It should then react differently to the controllers, if I'm not mistaking.

You'll hear from me soon...
francoran

Post by francoran »

Martijn wrote:Francoran,

... Btw, have you tried setting the mfx-source to performance instead of part and copy all parameter settings of the rotary-effect from the patch-mfx to the performance-mfx? It should then react differently to the controllers, if I'm not mistaking.
You'll hear from me soon...
Yes, I tried it as well but the result is the same. I will try it again this evening, to be sure have done it in the right way. I will let you know if it works.
Thanks
rdanl

Post by rdanl »

Hello you must set a performace mfx say mfx1 to rotary then send your organ patch to mfx1 in the performance , then you must set the controls for fast-slow on effect ctrl page. On the mfx crtl tab you must select the midi channel that controls the mfx parameter chage. See pag 84 of manual. For example if you have your organ patches in the 4th part (and you did n't changed the midi channel ) you must set the midi channel to 4. You have to scroll down with the down arrow to see the midi channel parm in ctrl tab ... its easy to miss it if you don't know it 's there.
francoran

Post by francoran »

rdanl wrote:Hello you must set a performace mfx say mfx1 to rotary then send your organ patch to mfx1 in the performance , then you must set the controls for fast-slow on effect ctrl page. On the mfx crtl tab you must select the midi channel that controls the mfx parameter chage. See pag 84 of manual. For example if you have your organ patches in the 4th part (and you did n't changed the midi channel ) you must set the midi channel to 4. You have to scroll down with the down arrow to see the midi channel parm in ctrl tab ... its easy to miss it if you don't know it 's there.
Thank you for the answer, rdanl,
I knew already what you say and everything work fine when I set the organ patch at part 1, I just push S1 and tha fast rotary starts.
The problem is when I have a performance with the organ in another part (say 4 or 5) and want to activate S1 switch for the fast speed. First I recall the Performance and then I have to select the part (4 or 5) with the organ before activate S1 switch, otherwise it doesn't work even with the right midi channel selected, as you say. But never mind, I think that I will re-assign the organ to the part 1 in each performance until I find another solution.
rdanl

Post by rdanl »

francoran wrote:
rdanl wrote:Hello you must set a performace mfx say mfx1 to rotary then send your organ patch to mfx1 in the performance , then you must set the controls for fast-slow on effect ctrl page. On the mfx crtl tab you must select the midi channel that controls the mfx parameter chage. See pag 84 of manual. For example if you have your organ patches in the 4th part (and you did n't changed the midi channel ) you must set the midi channel to 4. You have to scroll down with the down arrow to see the midi channel parm in ctrl tab ... its easy to miss it if you don't know it 's there.
Thank you for the answer, rdanl,
I knew already what you say and everything work fine when I set the organ patch at part 1, I just push S1 and tha fast rotary starts.
The problem is when I have a performance with the organ in another part (say 4 or 5) and want to activate S1 switch for the fast speed. First I recall the Performance and then I have to select the part (4 or 5) with the organ before activate S1 switch, otherwise it doesn't work even with the right midi channel selected, as you say. But never mind, I think that I will re-assign the organ to the part 1 in each performance until I find another solution.
Hello i think you don't need to change the organ part here It is my demo performance showing how you can use s1 to control organ rotary speed at part 3 while having selected as current part part1...organ sound is from c5 onward if you select part 1 as current part while playing you can then speed up the rotary (performance is a split bass, piano , organ with actually a pad layered with the upper organ part).If you need more explanation fell free to ask (by the way francoran are you Italian?)
demo_rotform.mid
demo showing rotary speed change on part 3
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 1304 times
ps you need the juno stage librarian and a usb midi connection of course to import the performance but surely you already know all that
rdanl

Post by rdanl »

A warning: performance selected is just user performance 43 so when you import the smf in the librarian you see only this performance and other performance number with init performance (actually empty)
francoran

Post by francoran »

rdanl wrote:...
Hello i think you don't need to change the organ part here It is my demo performance showing how you can use s1 to control organ rotary speed at part 3 while having selected as current part part1...organ sound is from c5 onward if you select part 1 as current part while playing you can then speed up the rotary (performance is a split bass, piano , organ with actually a pad layered with the upper organ part).If you need more explanation fell free to ask (by the way francoran are you Italian?)
demo_rotform.mid
ps you need the juno stage librarian and a usb midi connection of course to import the performance but surely you already know all that
Wow, here we go!
Thank you for your time, rdanl, now I see where I was wrong before. I used to set the Rotary Control Channel at the same channel of the organ part instead of channel 1 as you did. About the Sys Control I prefer to use Sys Crtl 3 because CC01 in the Menu System is set for modulation and it could probably change other sounds in the Performance. Anyway, thank you again and back to your question, yes I am italian from Rome, but it is not my fault, I swear!
rdanl

Post by rdanl »

Glad to
have been of help to you. I m also italian from bologna francoraran . Keep enjoin your jun o stage for live play is a great keyboard!