JS & Cubasis

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Kruger123

JS & Cubasis

Post by Kruger123 »

Anyone tried using Cubasis with their JS? I'm having trouble assigning the Juno's sounds to separate tracks. Every new midi track I create in cubasis has the prev tracks instrument playing so three tracks equals three synths, pianos, or three brass etc etc. I have each track in cubasis on a different channel but how to get the synth to recognise the channel/ instrument change. I tried bouncing/freezing each track I laid down down into audio as a way round it but couldn't hear it the audio even though I have the outputs of the synth into monitors but that's not my main issue. Any thoughts. Thanks. John.
francoran

Re: JS & Cubasis

Post by francoran »

I never tried to record with Cubasis, but I would do it in this way:
1. In JS prepare a Performance (Init Perf.) and be sure that each part have their own midi channel number, then call it "Cubasis" and save it. Reload it every time you open Cubasis.
2. When you record midi tracks, you will listen them from the output of the JS, so in Cubasis remove the flag from midi thru, otherwise you will listen a doubled sound, one from JS and the other from the audio board like an awful chorused sound. Of course, you can leave the flag on midi thru, too, but in this case is better to set JS in Local Off.
3. Audio tracks in Cubasis will be played back from the audio board not from JS, so you'll have to monitor out both JS and the audio board.

These are just starting point, I hope they are useful
Kruger123

Post by Kruger123 »

Thank you francoran. Your solution worked! I knew there was a way round it somehow. I had played around with performance mode before but not much. I had to flick through my manual to remember how to rename performances etc etc. I have had the JS for a while now and after life stuff ( moving home etc ) had to leave it for a while but apart from just playing piano pieces I think hearing some of the amazing sounds altogether in perfs mode it really comes to life. Have you heard the SRX piano expansion board sounds? I'm not totally convinced with some of the on board piano sounds, the ones I tend to use are the German Grand and So True...but I think it's hard to get the dynamics to sound realistic...there seems to be a big gap from soft to loud although that might be in part down to my playing.
francoran

Post by francoran »

Happy to know it worked. I don't Know the SRX piano expansion, but you can listen to some demos at this link: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/654
If you are much involved in piano sounds it could be a good idea, but have you already tried to set the Keyboard Velocity, Curve and Sensitivity in the MENU/SYSTEM/KEYBOARD? Maybe you will find your right setting. For the Velocity Sens try values about +42 ... +50. Mine is +50 and I feel fine, but I am not a real pianist having played almost always on synth keyboards. I have a digital piano at home a Korg SP200 that I use to study and do exercises, but its action is not as heavy as a real piano.