Juno Stage and DAW Compatibility

Forum for JUNO STAGE
brabribo

Juno Stage and DAW Compatibility

Post by brabribo »

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum so please excuse any lack of common knowledge I exhibit. I'm hoping that you good people can help me; I own a Roland Juno Stage and have recently been researching the various DAW's on the market and can't seem to decide which software to choose.

Briefly, I am an aspiring home composer who only owns a synth and keyboard amplifier (both Roland products of course). I need to add a PC w Speakers, DAW, audio interface to my room. I frequently become frustrated as I regularly write music and inevitably forget what I've done a few weeks later as I have no recording medium.

So, my first real question is - Should I purchase SONAR X3 Producer Edition or AVID Pro Tools 11?

I can't decide, I have experience with Pro Tools software from a basic music course at college and found it to be very user friendly and I'm tempted to stick with what I know. However it is very pricey. If I were to purchase SONAR X3, then I would have to completely re-educate myself but it seems to review well.

Second question - I'm wondering if I can use the splendid range of sounds available on the Juno Stage not only as audio but also as MIDI whereby I can input notes via clicking but still using the patches on my synth?

And, if so, can this be done only on Roland software (i.e SONAR X3), or can it be done using Pro Tools too?

I'm hoping this question makes sense as it is the reason why I'm struggling to choose as I aim to maximize the benefits possible from owning a Juno Stage.

Thanks for reading once again! :)
Macska

Re: Juno Stage and DAW Compatibility

Post by Macska »

Hi Babribo and welcome!

Your DAW choice should rely on what you think will help you work fastest. The last thing you want is to sit down ready with a track idea and then lose it because the DAW frustrates you. That being said once you've learned a daw in and out the frustrations become less and less.

I love Sonar X3. It works best for me by far. If you took a class that gave you a good handle on protools it may be good to stick with that, but don't be afraid of learning a new daw- all the basics of track recording, midi, and audio remain about the same.

My advice would be to try to demo the ones you are considering and use them, for about a month together before you finally decide on one.

What you want to do with your Juno is possible with any daw. You will send midi data out over usb to the Juno and it will trigger the audio.

You are diving into one heck of an adventure choosing a daw and beginning computer based/home produced composition! It's exciting, take it easy and be patient, there's a lot to take in so enjoy every moment. Don't be too quick to buy equipment and software until you are sure it's right for you, always demo it first if you can.