Juno Stage Key Audio and Velocity Issues After Repair

Forum for JUNO STAGE
wrmdesigns

Juno Stage Key Audio and Velocity Issues After Repair

Post by wrmdesigns »

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums please bear with me....I have a Juno Stage that a guy spilled beer on and I had it repaired by an authorized Roland Service Center. I have had to take t back to the repair center 3-4 times because one key would lose sound and they would fix, then another key and so on. It has never been the same key twice. Second issue since repaired, some keys are sounding distinctively louder than others and that also changes every time I pick up the synth from the repair shop. If anyone can help me to understand what may be the solution to this other than selling a new synth, I will appreciate any comments/solution. Thanks
Martijn

Re: Juno Stage Key Audio and Velocity Issues After Repair

Post by Martijn »

Hi wrmdesigns,

Some time ago I had my Juno Stage repaired (full waranty) because of velocity-issues (see: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25759). All circuitboards of the keybed were replaced, and it fixed all velocity problems for me. I think you should ask your Service Center to do the same. When liquids were spilled on electronics, my experience is that they can still cause trouble after a long time, after seeming okay in the first place. Maybe the service center only cleaned the PCB's, but did not replace them. Do you know the guy who spilled the beer? Can you claim this through his insurance maybe?
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

Hello Martijn ,
Thanks for the response, the guy paid for the repair the shop suggested (no insurance) and I really hate to go back to him and say it still hasn't been fixed properly and he has to pay more (kind of the shops fault to me) know what I mean? The repair shop suggested replacing some type of strip after the third time cleaning the unit but would be out of my own pocket. I haven't yet figured out my next approach. The job replacing the PCB's, is it very expensive?
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I really hate that this happened to your Stage. I hope you can get it working correctly again! I wish I had some suggestions but all I can do is wish you well. Sorry. Keep us up to date. I'm sad that I have to sell my Stage now that I got the Jupiter 50, it's a great keyboard!
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

Thanks flyingace, will keep posting as I find out more. Going to read up on the 50.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

I reread my post, although the JP50 is a great keyboard, I really meant that the Stage is a GREAT KEYBOARD! I only wish Roland would continue to support it with new drivers and current features the rest of the juno line gets, like wireless adapter support. I'm sad I have to sell it because it does so much more than the JP50. the JP50 sounds great but has much less functionality than the Stage. The Stage is a superior "players" keyboard in so many ways! So if you can get yours fixed, I'd do that!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hey Mr. W.R.M. Designs,

I think replacing 'the strip' and the PCB's I mentioned, could be one and the same thing. I wasn't talking about ALL of the PCB's, it's just the ones in the keybed. As far as I understood, in my Juno Stage they replaced the PCB's that contain the key-contacts, and I suppose you can also call this a strip. By strip they could also mean the piece that is between the PCB's and the keys. Either way, I think that should really fix your problems, but how you have to deal with the costs is something else. Maybe you can split 50/50 with the repair shop? They should have known that just cleaning the contacts might not take care of the problem.

Mind you that the JP50 is not a replacement for or successor to the Juno Stage! Although it has great sounds and functionalities, it lacks some (important) functions for live performance that the Juno Stage has. So you have to figure out if it wuold be a good replacement in your case. I guess having your Juno Stage (properly) repaired is always cheaper than buying a new Jupiter 50.
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

I agree they should have fixed the problems from the start. I love my Juno Stage so I will no doubt have to request they remedy this, plus I have shows up and coming so.....

Thanks Martijn and your right, cheaper to fix than replacing at this time. Will contact the shop on Monday...will keep updating.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

...just curious... How's your Juno Stage doing? ;)
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

I called the repair shop last week and the tech said he would find out the cost to replace the "rubber" contacts as he called them. So I sit and wait for his quote. I don't know if they will give me a break or not at this time, but I sure hope so. I want to make certain he knows what should be replaced because it seems like he is talking about something slightly different. In the end I will go to the shop before work is performed to be sure. I also pulled up some info on youtube for replacing pcb's on an old Roland D50 that helps me to understand the repair better. I will keep updating the post as we go along. Thanks
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Glad to hear you're continuing to 'fight' for your Stage! I decided to keep mine. It's hard to find one in MINT condition and to tell the truth, it's just a great keyboard that is easy to program and play (great for on the fly live set ups, which the Jupiter 50 is NOT!) For now I'm keeping both but I could see letting the Jupiter 50 go in the future! :) Looking forward to hearing your Stage has a clean bill of health!
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

All,

The repair shop has ordered the part(s) and will contact me when it has arrived. The velocity issue isn't getting any better so I am waiting patiently, hoping this will solve the prob.

Still digging my JStage
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I'm very confident it wil! Are you and the shop gonna split the costs, or anything like that?
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

We didn't discuss...I had no idea they had even ordered the part(s), we shall certainly see.
wrmdesigns

Post by wrmdesigns »

All,

It's been sometime now but this Monday I will finally be taking my Juno Stage back to the repair shop. The parts (pcb) finally arrived (Roland said they were back ordered when I called to check) so I was told a day or two for repair. I have been working all summer long without my proper rig but have made it this far. I will keep posting as progress is made. Easy now...