Unwanted tremolo/pulsation on drawbar organ patches

Forum for JUNO STAGE
Ju!anH

Unwanted tremolo/pulsation on drawbar organ patches

Post by Ju!anH »

Hi, I have been experiencing a weird problem which is driving me nuts.... When I select the drawbar organ sounds in patch mode they sound perfectly normal but when I try to use any of them in performance mode they have a strange pulsating effect. It's hard to describe but it is very much like tremolo on a very slow setting, or maybe like the volume is being repeatedly turned up and down. It seems that some effect has been accidentally enabled but this happens whenever I add one of these sounds in performance mode - even when initiating a new performance from scratch (i.e. with no effects pre-set). I am sure I am doing something wrong here but if anyone can help me get to the bottom of it that would be great!
Martijn

Re: Unwanted tremolo/pulsation on drawbar organ patches

Post by Martijn »

Hi Ju!an,

Can you give me the exact preset numbers of the patches and performance you are talking about? I’ll look into it for you and I’ll try to help you.

Martijn
Ju!anH

Post by Ju!anH »

Thanks Martijn. The patches affected by this problem are PRST 943 - 963. It only happens when I am in performance mode, i.e. when trying to select one of these patches to add as a part of a newly created performance.

This is one of a number of examples of "random" behaviour I am experiencing. Another problem I have in performance mode is missing sounds (e.g. only strings sounding when selecting a performance consisting of piano and strings)....resolved when switching out of performance mode and back in again and sometimes I have to switch the keyboard off and on again.

I would mention that I have already tried restoring back to factory settings but this has not solved the problem. Also I have checked that the operating system is the most up to date one. Could this be some kind of hardware issue do you think?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Ju!anH,

The presets you mention have an emulation of a rotary speaker by using the LFO's to repeatedly shift the PAN from left to right. The modulation lever controls the speed (up is faster). This effect is 'inside' the patch. In patch mode, the sound is lead through the MFX (Hexa-Chorus) to make the 'Lesley'-effect a bit more realistic. In patch mode, turn off the MFX-switch (EDIT -> EFFECTS EDIT -> SWITCH) to test if it then sounds like you described. Are you monitoring only the left or right output? When you're monitoring in stereo, you should hear a sound going from left to right and back. Turn the MFX switch back on.

To make the patch sound the same in performance mode, make sure to set the FX SRC to the same part where you loaded the D.Bar Org Patch:
- Press EDIT and then select EFFECTS EDIT
- In the EFFECT ROUTING screen select the part where the D.Bar Org patch is located (i.e. PART 1*)
- Set OUTPUT to PAT
- Set MFX SEL to 1, 2 or 3
- Set MFX(1,2 or 3) source to P1* (it should now display "HEXA-CHORUS")
- (optional) Set CHORUS source to P1*
- (optional) set REVERB source to P1*
*if the patch is in another part, change this number accordingly

Now it should sound something like it does in patch mode, because the effects settings are equal to that of the D.Bar Org patch. Maybe you need to edit the levels of the effect sends. <<<Don't forget to WRITE your performance to the user memory>>>

The "random" behaviour you are talking about: could it be a keyboard switch that is not set? When you're in performance mode in the display it says "KNOB" and after that is usually says "Part 1". When you change this (with the arrow left/right buttons) you might 'mute' part 1 because you are not 'sending' notes to that part anymore. Go into KBD SW and see if the part you need is switched on. Are you using an expression/volume pedal? This could also cause muting sometimes, depending on your control settings.

I definitely don't think the things you describe are hardware issues. I have a 25 year old JV-880 module and an 18 year old XP-30 that are still running flawlessly (knock on wood). The only trouble with the Juno Stage is that I need to clean one of the key contacts from time to time, because they sometimes loose their sensitivity.

Martijn
Ju!anH

Post by Ju!anH »

Thanks! Lots to think about here, which I will do as soon as possible. I think this is starting to show that the problems I am experiencing are down to my own lack of understanding rather than problems with the Juno Stage itself. I need to do some serious work!
BBQ

Post by BBQ »

Martijn wrote:In patch mode, the sound is lead through the MFX (Hexa-Chorus) to make the 'Lesley'-effect a bit more realistic.
Ooh, thanks, I was also wondering about/struggling with that. I even created LFO-free copies of some of the organs.