770 vs 550

Forum for VP-550, VP-770 and VP-7
ottoschnitzel

770 vs 550

Post by ottoschnitzel »

Hi,
I listened to the demos of vp 770 and found that they sound sonically not really much improved from the vp 550.
There is still the pipe like electronic breathing - same as it was on vp550.

I also watched the lesson demo on the 770 with the japanese singer and the sound seems to be not improved at all over the vp 550, in fact for some reason it sounded even more electronic than the demos of 550, probably because of the singer voice.

Like this vp 550 demo of don Lewis that is simply wondeful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhaR4EcihM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TdQwOUGaFs

But I had not been able to get such clear non-electronic sound from the VP 550 I own, it always get the electronic "breathing".
I found out you have to sing really very close to the actual tone being played to minimize the electronic breathing, but even so.

Here is to the owners or perhaps people who played both:
How the sound is compared to 550?

Did you figured out some trick how to filter the electronic breathing to get more to the clean sound of the 550 song demoof Don Lewis?

I am thinking of upgrading the vp 550 I had so much fun with to the vp 770, but I think the "improved" vocal designer refers more to the adjustability and the additional functions like auto tone than the actual sound. I hear absolutely NO improvement over the sound.

I tried to record the sound of 550 few times, but apart of background vocals mixed with instruments, they always sound electronic ifbrought to attention. It is fun keyboard for sure, but the actual real-life usage is a bit limited IMHO.

Here is tip: you can put a mp3 player with enya as ext in and then sing in correct tempo completely different words, for some reason it works well with enya and you got as a result an enya singing your words. Also tried with sarah brightman opera pieces - lot of fun - but still you get the electronic breathing that is very hard to get rid of.