Comparison between vp 770 and vp 550- 'gospel' setting

Forum for VP-550, VP-770 and VP-7
panamacanal

Comparison between vp 770 and vp 550- 'gospel' setting

Post by panamacanal »

Help! I used a vp 770 for a recording project last year, and loved it, it ended up on almost every song of the album we made.

I now need to buy a vp as I have to start performing this live, and the one I used on the recording belonged to the studio.

The only feature I actually used was the 'gospel' setting in the vocal designer section, whilst singing through the mic input- I know it has many other features, but I just don't need them.

As you'd all know, I could buy a second hand vp 550 so much cheaper than a vp 770, and I know it has the 'gospel' setting in the vocal designer. I'm wondering if anyone has had both these machines and can compare them? Is this feature basically the same or do they sound different?

The Roland information states that there is 'significant improvement' in the vocal designer in the 770, but then I've read one review which says they are the same.

I have a gig next week so need to buy one asap- if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
axxim

Re: Comparison between vp 770 and vp 550- 'gospel' setting

Post by axxim »

Hi panamacanal,

AFAIK, the VD engine of the VP-770 (which is what I have) is better than the VP-550's but no way to compare it. As the VP-770 has an adjustable input section (Compressor/EQ/Gate) it surely has an improvement in the formant (analysis) section and is more suitable to different vocalizations.
If you used your vocal (Gospel) parts as background then the 550 will surely doe the job as well, but if the vocals are the front part of your gigs, then it may have some differences.

Maybe you should consider the VP-7, that apparently has the same engine than the VP-770 and surely is easier to find in stock for testing at a music store.

It would be nice if Roland would specify the vocoder's relevant technical data.
panamacanal

Post by panamacanal »

Thanks axxim
Yes the parts are kind of in the background, but still very much featured. So I don't want to sacrifice quality. Of course if it wasn't so darned expensive I'd just buy a 770 and be done with it.

I've never actually played a 550 but on this Don Lewis clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHd_U00q3vo the sound seems pretty identical to the 770.

If there happens to be anyone out there who has both these instruments and can run a test I'd be forever grateful!
Best wishes
panamacanal

Post by panamacanal »

PS I already tried the vp7 and couldn't work out any similar sounds at all- in fact I thought it was very difficult to make sense of..