Using earphones as monitors?

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
AWBbox

Using earphones as monitors?

Post by AWBbox »

I am still intent on buying an AX-Synth but I would like to know if using head/earphones with the synth will cause audio from the main outputs to be cut? I currently use earphones as monitors with my current setup and it's something I'd rather not be without if I were to get the AX.

Thanks.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Using earphones as monitors?

Post by Artemiy »

No, the headphones and line output are independent, so audio always goes out from both at the same time.
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

there might be some volume issues, because you should run your synth pretty hot to the PA (to get the best noise-audio-ratio) and if you go with full volume out of your synth, your headphones will be damn loud aswell...
AWBbox

Post by AWBbox »

Thanks guys, I might get some sort of in-line volume control for the earphones if the output is that high. Or maybe use the attenuator to make the balance a little better.
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

in-line control sounds a great idea! That Attenuator however might not because it affects only to main outputs and actually lowers the signal volume...
spyder_

Post by spyder_ »

The best solution I have come across for live performance using head phones or in-ear monitors is to buy yourself a small mixer. I currently use a 12 channel Mackie because I use four keyboards live. Most, if not all mixers have an independant output with a proprietary attenuation for that output.