Affordable sequencer for Ax-Synth

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
acmcp

Affordable sequencer for Ax-Synth

Post by acmcp »

Hi guys,
I am a proud owner of a fantom g8 and an Ax-Synth. i was trying to find an easy way to play my pre-recorded midi phrases in my Ax-Synth so i'd not have to carry my fantom g8 everywhere.
The MC50 micro composer is a great option since It allows me to save all my phrases and play them later but it is hard to find.
The MPC 500 seems to be a great option but the price is pretty high. Is there a cheaper option? I do not want to use a laptop + software sequencer.

Thanks,
Augusto Pedroza
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Affordable sequencer for Ax-Synth

Post by Artemiy »

Would not recommend you to get anything with a floppy drive - stay aware from this old stuff. MPC-500 is not a bad solution but it's indeed expensive for the task. Check out SonicCell and ask at the forum if it can play MIDI files into the MIDI out (same money as MPC-500 but it gives you an extra Fantom-X sound engine).

If you want to be under $300, and have it reliable, here is my suggestion. Get an iPod touch (8 GB is about $200), and then this (for $70):
http://line6.com/midimobilizer/

Then download the free MIDI player/recorder app, upload your MIDI files from it, and you're good to go. More than enough storage and no external power supply required (iPod touch will work for 6-8 hours with no problems, emergency battery charger can be had for $20).
acmcp

Post by acmcp »

Great suggestions!! The SonicCell seems so cool!! But the ipod adapter is much more affordable.

Is there any delay to play midi files usind the line 6 adapter?

Thanks Artemiy,
Augusto Pedroza
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

There shouldn't be any delay. I use lots of quite powerful synths on my iPod and they have no kind of lag to worry about, I think it will be the same for this MIDI interface, since it's way less processor-intensive.
capnstoobie

Post by capnstoobie »

The Midi Mobilizer looks pretty cool, but in what situations would you use it? I can understand it might be useful to quickly record some ideas you have, but would it be useful in live performances?
acmcp

Post by acmcp »

Do you think I might be able to use the Ax-Synth to trigger the sounds stored in the SonicCell?

The midi mmobilizer is not very flexible .. I hope they
come up with an app that has some sort of MIDI Pad .. so each pad can trigger a different midi phrase.

thanks,
Augusto Pedroza