Lucina AX-09

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Gil

Lucina AX-09

Post by Gil »

So I just got my Lucina AX-09 which I ordered 3 months ago, and I love it.
I'm using it solely as a Midi controller with batteries and a wireless MIDI connection, works like a charm.

It doesn't seem to be as popular as the Ax-Synth, but I'm not crazy about the "keytar" 80's look, and the Lucina looks less like a keytar and more like a regular synth strapped around your shoulder. It's also smaller and extremely light.

I don't like Roland's decision to market this as a kid's keyboard. I was slightly put off by it at first because of those videos of kids jamming with it, but once I got my hands on one I saw that there's nothing kiddie about it, it's a professional keyboard just like the Ax Synth.

Anyway, does anyone else here have it?
donutninja

Re: Lucina AX-09

Post by donutninja »

Waiting for the black one to come out, then I'll definitely get one.
Stowasser

Post by Stowasser »

Well I have it.

I'm pleased with it aswell. I agree that it looks better than the ax-synth and the 3 octaves seems more appropiate for this kind of synth (to my needs).

It feels very robust and sturdy despite its light weight.
The sounds are great (I assume it's based on a fantom G engine of some sort)
150 patches is not a lot these days though. To be honest I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a piano + strings patch in there. I know layering is not possible because of it's monotimbrality but I think that piano + strings is so common that it is regarded as one instrument. :)

But ofcourse the functionality is very limited compared to the ax-synth

It would be nice to have an editor as with the ax-synth. You're not allowed to edit effects (other than reverb) which is a bit strange since they're obviously there.

I was extremely surprised when I found out that once you have saved a patch with your own editings to a user patch you can't edit further. This is extremely annoying. Hopefully Roland will correct this in future updates.

I've never used the audioplayer. To be honest I don't understand this new trend of turning all instruments into mp3 players... What's it for???

Those were my thoughts for now...
StudioF

Post by StudioF »

Getting mine tomorrow.. ( hopefully)

StudioF
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

I'm going for the black one when it comes out and it is going to be most in midi controller use... of course I will be jamming with the internal sounds at home and some random occasions, but I doubt that I will use the sounds on gigs/recordings.

I think it is nice to have the player function so you can jam wirelessly with headphones :D
StudioF

Post by StudioF »

I have the Lucina for some days now and i'm very pleased with it. The sounds are good, the keyboard feels good, overall very good.

Studio F
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

What's a fair price to pay for the Lucina AX-09 keytar ?

cheer's..

##########################################################

Well, just been through the web search and seen variable prices.

Also spotted a Black AX-09B on ebay ` brand new.

Looks cool !

If interested, check it out.
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

Black is not on the market yet... so I'm not sure how can it be on the ebay... Only black Ax which is on the market (used only) is the AX-1B
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Synastikki,

You're Incorrect buddy !

AX-09B - (Black) is available.

AX-09B - http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-AX-09B-Lucina-Keytar-NEW-STO...

AX-09B - http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/07/lucina-ax-09-bl...
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

yeah it actually came out yesterday :D there was a video released in youtube about 5 hours after I wrote the previous message :D sorry :P
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

There U go :]

However, the highlighted link of eBay, is where I discovered the black coloured keytar in.
Anyway, It's all good buddy ;]

cheer's q:?)
Synastikki

Post by Synastikki »

I tried the lucina at a local store today and here's a small review:

Although they advertise it to be lightweight it started to feel little heavy after playing about 15minutes. Of course I'm not used to using a keytar so I'm quite sure that the weight will not be as big as an issue after many hours of using and training. Of course it is lightweight compared to "real keyboards" and really easy to carry around, but for playing it needs some time for getting used to.
The sounds are usable, but I'm planning to use it more as a midi controller so I'm not so worried about the sounds.
Keyboard feels really good and playable especially for the price range and it really beats most of the cheap midi controllers and is almost as good as my korg triton.
The controls are quite nice and I like the fact that the buttons are under the keys so changing sounds is pretty easy. The octave change buttons could be located somewhere else though because it is pretty hard to hit them while playing. There's been some complaints about the gap where you put your left hand for pitch bending and mod.bar for being to small and also about the mod.bar being on the way when pitch bending, but it didn't seem to bother me and bending and using the controls was easy (maybe I just have small hands and long fingers :D) Also the place for the d-beam is good but it could be better so it would be easier to use it also with left hand.
I cannot say anything about power stuff and moving around with it because I was tied to the power cable (no batteries in the store use) and I used headphones so I can't say how it would affect the playing or moving it I would use stereo out. Also I wasn't able to try the audio input or the usb stick, but I will not be using those (maybe in home for fun) because I'll be mainly using it for midi controlling purposes.
With all these good and bad things I'm definately gonna buy one when the black ones come to my local store (tried a white one). Only concernes that I still have are the sensitivity of the pitch strip, mod.bar and d-beam over midi, but I think that those will be good enough.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Ordered black one today. I will also get wireless kit soon and then I will be 'off the leash'. This is really going to piss off the lead guitarist. heh heh.
Roland are right for marketing towards kids. I will be like a little kid when it arrives.
Can't wait.

:-)

B4D
Sviu737

Post by Sviu737 »

Hello. It is possible to import tones into my keyboard. Lucina Ax-09. And if possible, how can this be done