AX-Synth Strap locks

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
vxfan

AX-Synth Strap locks

Post by vxfan »

Has anyone been able to use strap locks with the AX synth. I tried to unscrew the strap button on the AX synth to use strap locks but they would spin in place as if you have to open the unit to grab a nut to have the screws actually come out. I gave up not wanting to damage it.
Arjan

Re: AX-Synth Strap locks

Post by Arjan »

EDIT: Whether or not the original strap buttons are Schallers I don't know but the Schaller straplocks do NOT fit the factory strap buttons on the AX Synth.

According to

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/020304.html

the AX Synth uses Schaller straplocks so if you get those you won't need to replace the original strap button, the lock part should just fit on the existing one.
Raccoon_

Post by Raccoon_ »

Hi

I'm using "add-on" strap locks (don't know how to call it in english).

It's just like some plastic overlay. Not perfect, not super static, but practical.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

I have no experience in this area at all but If you're referring to Dunlop strapholders I've read (in several forums) that they are not as reliable and one day may suddenly come loose and send your guitar (or Synth Ax in this case) to the floor, neck first.

I've only heard (read) only good things about the Schaller straplock so I think I will try those.
Raccoon_

Post by Raccoon_ »

Yeah, I'm using Dunlop Strapholders and I've lost two of them, and two have broken up. But always I see it very quickly that there is no strapholder (lets say one time for few months) so I'm putting new one.

So those straplocks Schaller...You don't need to remove those metal things in keytar? You need only to put Schallers on them?

I hope you'll understand what I mean :)
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

So those straplocks Schaller...You don't need to remove those metal things in keytar? You need only to put Schallers on them?

EDIT: Turns out to be untrue

That is my understanding yes. My local guitar shop ran out of Schaller straplocks, they expect a new shipment next Tuesday. I'll post here once I get my hands on them to confirm whether the lock part will the the strap buttons on the Ax.
captaincowhouse

Post by captaincowhouse »

I've been using my Ax-Synth with the Schaller strap-locks for almost a year and they're great.

Had to take the keytar apart to put them on which was really daunting, considering i'd only just bought it, but it's definitely worth it. So much easier than trying to get the strap on the original pegs. In all this time, i've only had to open up and re-tighten once.

The one at the R.H. side of the keyboard doesn't do up tightly on my strap, and at the end of gigs it'll be pointing upside down (like the letter "n", instead of "u"), and you'd think that might mean the keyboard would fall off but not at all, no problems at all.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Are you saying that the Schaller straplocks don't just fit on the (supposedly also) Schaller strap buttons that are on the Ax from the factory? Did you actually try if they fit?

My local shop still has not received their shipment of Schaller straplocks so I haven't been able to test this yet.
captaincowhouse

Post by captaincowhouse »

I tried, and they don't
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Damn. I just sent an email to Roland Europe to ask if there is any kind of straplock that will just fit.

The manual actually advises to use straplocks but it also warns against unscrewing the strap buttons. So if there's no straplock that will fit that would be just silly. Maybe the strap buttons are not Schaller after all. Or do guitar builders really use different strap buttons for straplocks than for simple straps?
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Not that I doubted captaincowhouse but after today's rehearsal with the band I can confirm that Schaller straplocks do NOT fit the strapbuttons on the Ax Synth. Our guitar player also uses them and they did not fit.

I can also confirm that the strap comes loose way too easily. I had not been doing anything fancy like spinning the thing around my next (like you'd actually want to do that) but the strap came loose after I tried some two-handed playing (don't think I'll be doing much of that either if at all).

Luckily it was after trying this and I was holding it by the next so it didn't actually fall. This proves to me that at least some form of locking is mandatory.

I will wait and see what Roland Europe have to say on this subject and report back here. If they cannot offer a solution I probably will open up the Ax Synth and replace the strapbuttons with actual Schaller straplock strap buttons.

Question to captioncowhouse
In all this time, i've only had to open up and re-tighten once.

Is there a specific reason why the replacement strap button had to be re-tightened? How is this different from the original factory strap button which I assume has been installed in such a way that it will never need re-tightening?
The one at the R.H. side of the keyboard doesn't do up tightly on my strap, and at the end of gigs it'll be pointing upside down (like the letter "n", instead of "u"), and you'd think that might mean the keyboard would fall off but not at all, no problems at all.

Would you are to elaborate on this? Is it not possible to install the replacement strap button such that the straplock will properly lock? Might a straplock from a different manufacturer work better in this regard? I'd like to get Schallers but if they can't be installed properly...

Also, do you have any pointers on opening the case, like which screws to remove and which ones to leave alone? I hate unscrewing self-threading screws, especially if they have been screwed into plastic.

And a question to everyone reading: does anyone happen to have the service manual for the AX Synth?
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Captaincowhouse,

Would you care to elaborate on the following:
In all this time, i've only had to open up and re-tighten once.

Any specific reason you had to re-tighten? Is there any difference between how the original strap buttons were secured versus your Schaller replacements?
The one at the R.H. side of the keyboard doesn't do up tightly on my strap, and at the end of gigs it'll be pointing upside down

Is something specifically related the AX Synth's shape or construction preventing you from installing the replacement strap button so that the straplock does 'do up tightly'? Would you perhaps need a washer to make it fit better or something?

Thanks,
Arjan
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Roland Central Europe have pretty much confirmed that there is no matching straplock that will just fit on the original strapbuttons. Literally I was told I could use any type of straplock on the AX Synth but that I would have to open it up to loosen and tighten the bolts that secure the strapbuttons to the body.

They actually offered to do the replacement for me if I turn in my AX with the straplocks of my choice to my local dealer (they have their own logistics in place here so it wouldn't cost me anything). Now that is excellent service and I'm quite used to that from Roland CE but I think I'll have a go at it myself as I don't want to be without my AX for one or two weeks, even though I currently don't have much time to play with it.

A shame that all this is necessary because the AX-7 did come with actual Schaller straplocks.

Captaincowhouse, if you read this I would very much appreciate it if you could shed some light on my previous questions. Does the problem with the RH straplock have anything to do with the horse shoe lock part? If so I would rather expect this to be a problem with the two recessed strapbuttons near the neck on the left, not the one on the right.

If the horse shoe is the problem perhaps a different straplock might be a better choice? How about Dunlop, with those the lock goes inside the strap button, not over it:

Or maybe Hudson (horse shoe seems less wide than Schaller) or Boston?
gius.prenc

Post by gius.prenc »

Hi,

I use these ones:

http://www.thomann.de/it/dunlop_straplok_ergo_lok.htm

and they are fine.

Regards,

G.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Hi guis.prenc,

That's the strapholders Raccoon was referring to. Not quite the same as straplocks and from what I have read not as convenient nor as reliable as actual strapholders but thanks nevertheless for your suggesion.

I'm currently leaning towards giving the Dunlop straplocks a try unless I can get some more information on what the problem is with the Schallers that captaincowhouse referred to.

Seems like many people like the Dunlops as well and it's mainly a matter of personal preference which one people (guitar players) use. Ernie Ball seems to be highly regarded as well but I'm not sure they would be a good choice for the AX as they seem to result in a longer moment arm and thus more force exerted on the strap button and the AX chassis joint.