Practice Suggestions

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
OhioBuckeye

Practice Suggestions

Post by OhioBuckeye »

Hey all just received my Lucina AX-09 today. I'm a new and learning keyboardist at this point. I was wondering if you have suggestions for practicing. I'm currently concentrating on scales and chords.

Do most practice/exercise books work just fine and you just use the treble sections? or do you run through both treble and bass clefs using your right hand for both parts?

At this point I want to concentrate on using my right hand only. I know most of you probably already use both hands when you want but I thought I could pickup the AX-Synth faster just concentrating on the right hand only.

Lastly, Do you suggest to "Not" look at the keyboard while practicing? Or will this just slow down moving forward with limited benefit?

Thanks

OB
Blues4dog

Re: Practice Suggestions

Post by Blues4dog »

It depends a lot on what you aim to do musically and what your current musical knowledge level is.
Scales and chords are bread and butter so keep practicing them but throw in a bit of solo stuff from time to time just to keep your sanity. :-}

Keytar's,........ Whoops..............not allowed to call it that. 'Shoulder Synths' are predominantly played with the right hand and modulated with the left in 'guitar' style. Not to say that you can't play two handed but right hand action is probably more important with this type of instrument.

As far as looking at the keys. It makes you look a lot more proficient if you learn to play without doing it.

A good book is always handy at any level. It is up to you what you choose to learn or how deep you want to go with it.

Above all else, enjoy it.

BTW, My Lucina should be here in about 2 weeks. :-)

I did look really hard at the new black AX but I don't think I can wait till November.

Cheers

B4D
Raccoon_

Post by Raccoon_ »

I started playing keytar with learning guitar solos :)

And it's a basic thing for me to understand how guitar players think and construct frazes.

have a good practising!
OhioBuckeye

Post by OhioBuckeye »

Racoon,

so give me some pointers here. How are you taking guitar music and playing that on the Ax-Synth? Are you using the tab and playing the same notes? chords?

OB
OhioBuckeye

Post by OhioBuckeye »

Blues3dog - RMCAudio has the Black Lucina's in a real good price. Check them out:

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Thanx..........but the postage would kill me.
Mine's on the way.
Should be here later this week.

Cheers

B4D
Raccoon_

Post by Raccoon_ »

I usualy learn by ear or I'm taking sheets with notes, because how to play on keyboard from tabs? :)

It's of course the best idea when you try to learn guitar-sound solos. I don't like to play riffs, chords (coz for me guitar is the best riff instrument :) ) so I usualy learn solos.

And banding, banding - try to do it like guitarists (playing one note below destination note and banding it up). At least at the beggining.
OhioBuckeye

Post by OhioBuckeye »

Thanks for the suggestions Racoon.