Lucina experience

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
TheBigE

Lucina experience

Post by TheBigE »

Me, I'm an old(er) guy. I just mess about with my music, jam a little with some other old guys. Never gonna be famous.

I play keys and lugging a keyboard around is a pain so I decided I needed to get me a keytar. As much as I'd like an ax-synth I cannot justify the cost so when I saw the Lucina I thought great. tried one, loved it, bought one (white).
It's great at jams, easy to carry, plug in and play and I'm not stuck in a corner. The sounds are fine for me since, like I say, I am just playing at being a rock star :)

First downer. I was at a jam recently, went to pick up the synth (by the strap like I always do) and one end of the strap came off the button. That let that end drop, the synth rotated and of course the other button popped out the strap since I was still holding it (the strap).
Synth falls the couple of feet to the floor. No damage I could see but ever since then the modulation bar has always seems loose.

I took the thing apart and a spring had come off so I put that back on but it still feels 'strange' It works fine but it seems to have more in/out movement than I recall (who notices stuff when it all works fine!).

I can't see any obvious reason why the bar moves a much as it does, it's just distracting at times when playing. Guess I'll get used to it.

I 'fixed' the strap problem with a couple of Dunlop Ergo strap locks. Cheap and quick fix. If you want to replace the buttons with a 'real' strap lock system, the buttons are bolted to metal brackets inside the case so you still need to split the case to do that.

Overall I like the unit, it does what it is supposed to do and I can still lug my regular keyboard to a gig if I want to.

I have considered using it as a midi controller as well but I've not doe so yet.

One other thing I have been looking at is to use on of the Line 6 Relay wireless systems for guitars with it. Line 6 say that other than being careful with the signal levels it should work. That would allow complete freedom, no cables at all. I guess you could do something similar with a wireless midi system.

I am still working on technique as far as using the touch controller but I can do a pretty good (by my standard) rendition of Jessica now on it.

I've also now got it hooked up to an old tc electroncs m300 effects unit as well and I've gotten a behringer FCB1010 foot controller to control that to change patches and also act as a volume control. Pretty neat. Be nice if you could change patches on the Lucina with via the foot controller as well but there's no midi in on the Lucina so no can do. I guess if I were to use the Lucina asa midi controller I could change patches on whatever I was controlling via the foot controller though. All that stuff is a long way off in the future sometime as I am still pretending I can actually play! Handel's hornpipe on the church organ setting sounds cool though!

Oh, I run it on recharables almost all the time now. I seem to be getting about 4 hours to a charge. I usually carry two sets just in case and I can use one set while the other charges.

Anyway, just thought I'd post. Cheers!

Dave
Raccoon_

Re: Lucina experience

Post by Raccoon_ »

Keep on playn'! :D
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Hey BigE.

Good to see us older muso's gettin' in on the key-tar thing.
I am in much the same situation as yourself lugging several boards and associated stands, leads, wiring etc. around so I went and got me a black Lucina. It arrived a couple of days ago so I am yet to gig with it. Oct 2nd will be its first outing. (The lead guitarist doesn't know I have it yet so I'm hoping for a big reaction to stealing some of his thunder).

I actually prefer the look of the Lucina over the AX even though it has less sounds and functions.

I have mine hooked up as a controller to a laptop with this band as I need certain sounds but when I play with the covers band I will be using the onboard sounds.

I tried it out on batteries but could only get about 1.5 hours out of my rechargables. What brand of batteries are you using? If I can get a decent span I will definitely go wireless asap.

You can get midi in to the synth but only via USB. I have a 4 meter USB cable and can send Program Changes from another controller via the laptop. Bit messy and lots of cable but it does work if you need it.

Anyway, Go the oldies with the key-tar's.

Cheers

B4D

BTW. Thanx for the tip re the strap. I'll be watching out for that one.
TheBigE

Post by TheBigE »

Rechargeables are ULTRA. I got them and an 8 battery charger from CompUSA/Tigerdirect (we have a store locally). They are 2500maH rating. no idea if that is standard but they seem to last the length of my weekly jam (2 hours) and a couple of hours afterwards.

I'v also found that the fall on the floor DID break something inside after all. Still need to take it apart again but from what I recall from the last time, I now thing the modulation bar is held in place with two screws to the circuit board. I 'think' those screws are plastic and the fall ha sheared them both off, allowing the bar to move out far too much.
I just need to get the old sheared off ends out of the mounting brackets (drill probably) and replace them and it should be good to go. I could send it back and have them fix it but I've already had it apart so probably voided any warranty and it'd take week and we have a couple of gigs coming up in the next couple of weeks.
I can work a screwdriver so no big deal, just gotta find replacement screws.
TheBigE

Post by TheBigE »

Update. Just took it apart and it's broken. The mod bar is attached to the circuit board by to blocks that screw to the board. The thin plastic connection forms a hinge. The hinge has completely broken allowing the mod bad to just rattle loosely. Really off putting when playing although it actually works fine.

Link to my blog where I show the problem:

http://branchonmaybe.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/lucina-yu...

It's still under warranty so I'll be on the phone soon!

Motto, Don't drop the thing!

I am not happy.
JnC

Post by JnC »

I just saw your pictures on your blog.

If they don't cover it under warranty, are there any circuit traces that would prevent you from drilling two new holes thru the board and mod hinge?

If there's no chance of shorting anything, I'd take some silicon RTV, lay down a thin bead of it to hold the modulator hinge back in place where it should be. Let that set up for about a hour or so, just so it doesn't wiggle when you drill. Drill two more holes thru the hinge/board and relocate the screws there. In fact, if there's room and no chance of shorting anything, I'd drill and add two more holes/screws.
TheBigE

Post by TheBigE »

Well, after exchanging emails with every Roland exec who's email I could get to work their customer support manager contacted me. They pulled the part I need from a unit (IE took one apart) and are shipping it to me.

I still find it hard to believe that they don't have spares for these in the US yet, not that I had to resort to emails senior execs to actually get anything done about it.

In my opinion the no spares issue is a screw up on their part.

The standard mediocre customer service is just a symptom of the way businesses treat their customers these days as far as I can see and is not unique to Roland. But, as my wife says, don;t accept NO for an answer until the man at he top (and she means THE TOP) says NO!
musicman100

Post by musicman100 »

Another golden oldie here LOL 58 y/o and used my new Lucina on its maiden voyage a few weeks ago. I am using the internal sounds and they are very usable. I step from behind my SV-1 and Electro 3 and got on the dance floor and "danced" with some of the ladies. Using a lead synth sound plus Organs and Eps.

Since it was spur of the moment it was hit or miss. But The band will re-arrange our set list so I can do a block of applicable songs in a row .

This is my second "keytar" experience. I used (and still own) an Axis which is teathered to its PS/floor pedal interface. The Lucina is much more fun !!
5thElement

Post by 5thElement »

Yet another "oldie" here. Using Juno Stage and Electro 3 for gigs and also do vocals. Like the idea of the Lucina for "out front" work on stage which I sometimes do with guitar (just strumming chords - have a lead guitarist in the band).

Do any of you guys know which sound set is on the Lucina? I've heard it quoted as being "based on" Fantom G but Roland's sound set descriptions are always open to interpretation!

Looking at the AX Synth too but prefer the look and size of the Lucina. I can midi in to my other keys but it would be nice to do at least some gigs with only a "shoulder synth" (don't think we are supposed to use the "K" word nowadays!) to tote along.

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

p.s. great vids from you guys. Keep 'em coming!
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Hey 5thElement.
We 'oldies' could almost start a club.

Most of the sounds are useable and similar (albeit limited in number) to the Stage sounds. The pianos and organs will probably disappoint you after the Electro.

I am currently using all soft synths on laptop with a Behringer FCB 1010 for patch change, expression and aftertouch. I did consider dragging along the other boards and MIDI-ing up but that sort of defeats the purpose. Did 2 gigs last weekend with the Lucina and I have to say it is a lot of fun being out front for a change. Even got to dance with the audience like Musicman100. It certainly attracts more attention than the standard 2 board rig.

BTW, solved the strap slipping off with a couple of stiff rubber/plastic washers stretched on after attaching the strap. They hold tight.

B4D
musicman100

Post by musicman100 »

I thought about the M-Audio Wireless Midi combo to go with the Lucina, but I am picking songs where I dont need the layer or splits that come from my other boards, so thus no midi ing them up from the strap-on.

Yes as B4D says, the organs and eps aren't up to the level of our electros, but
in context they work ok.
5thElement

Post by 5thElement »

Thanks for the info and advice guys.

I noticed the tone list for the Lucina doesn't really match up with the Juno Stage when it comes to organs (maybe they are from the Fantom G?) but I only need something which is usable and don't expect it to match the Electro (nothing does!). Same with pianos and EPs. Guitars are OK but I used a Korg M50 for a while and the guitars on that are stunning. I see Korg have launched the MicroStation, which is very small and light ........ hmm!

I really need to give the Lucina a proper try-out at the music store when I can (I'll probably break in at night and leave the lights off!)