First outing for my Lucina

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Blues4dog

First outing for my Lucina

Post by Blues4dog »

Hi all.

Took my new Black Sparkle Lucina out for a test drive yesterday at the local blues club jam day and I have to say I am impressed.

My usual rig is 2 keyboards with associated stands, laptop, audio and MIDI cables, pedals, monitor amp etc. (A full load out for 2 reasonably fit people to carry)

This time it was just me, Lucy and a guitar cable.

The sounds through the PA with a bit of careful EQing were well and truly up to scratch. Many other muso's commented on the quality. (The sounds, not my playing) :-)

It feels great to be out front interacting with guitarists, vocalists etc. instead of hidden behind a ton of gear.

It also got a fair bit of attention for just being somewhat out of the ordinary in that scene.

I have ordered a wireless MIDI transmitter so I will soon be totally free.

It really is one of the most fun instruments I have ever played.

Roland's marketing for the Lucina may appear to be aimed at kids but make no mistake, this is truly a usable instrument for serious musicians as well.

"I Love Lucy" :-)

Cheers

B4D
TheBigE

Re: First outing for my Lucina

Post by TheBigE »

I'm right up there with you, I think it's a great fun instrument.
I am still learning the whole pitch bend thing though to get that guitar bend effect. I have the bend set up to just bend by two semi tones so if I play in the next key down for the notes I want to bend and hold the top of the bend bar I find that seems to work so far.

I think the D beam is poorly placed. Who wants to stand their waving their hand over the bloody thing like they are playing a theramin!

PS I'm 6.5, 250 lbs and a into serious weight training as well so you can imagine me playing this thing!
Blues4dog

Re: First outing for my Lucina

Post by Blues4dog »

You must make the Lucina look like a toy piano.

My wife suggested that I shorten the strap somewhat to stop my mid section from hanging over the top of the synth. (Apparently not a good look)
She can be cruel at times :-)

The D beam? Yeah. Not in a very useful place. I've spent the past week messing about with an old guitar FX unit which can transmit midi data so I don't really need the beam. I don't mind the pitch bend / mod setup though. I am finding it quite comfortable to use.

First real gig with it is tonight and then a daytime gig tomorrow so it is going to get a workout this weekend. I will be using my soft synths for the moment as I haven't really worked out the best of the onboard sounds yet.
Wireless midi transmitter didn't arrive yet so I'll have to stay tethered for the moment. :-(

BTW. I bought some new 'high capacity' rechargeables and I am now getting a couple more hours out of the synth. Must have just been the old batteries.

Cheers

B4D