Ax-Synth: newest addition to my keyboard arsenal

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
phattbuzz

Ax-Synth: newest addition to my keyboard arsenal

Post by phattbuzz »

Went to Best Buy on Thursday and was a bit worried that they didn't have the Ax-Synth on display. Looked at the Lucina but my heart was set on the Ax-Synth. Finally I asked the guy at the counter who told me the display model was in the backroom because it had been used for a lesson. They had one unopened box still in stock. I brought it home and got to play with it for about an hour before going to work. Then played it on my free time on Friday and all day today.

My guitarist figured I bought it to replace my aging Korg MS2000, but that is not the case, the Korg can do quite a few tricks differently than the AX. I bought it to be able to get out from behind my keyboard cage.

Besides the Korg MS2000, I also use a Korg TR-61, a Casio Privia PX-330, and a Hammond A100 with Leslie speaker. These all come to gigs with me as long as there is enough space for them. Of course, the Hammond does not go to venues where there are too many stairs as it is a heavy beast.

But back to the AX-Synth...
I had been impressed with the videos I had seen on the web and was even more impressed when I took it out of the box and started playing it. This thing is quite expressive! The modulation bar/pitchbend ribbon is so easy to use. I've done my share of synth playing with joysticks and wheels, but they have never felt as natural as this gadget. The D-Beam doesn't seam to do much for me and I'm really not too keen on the aftertouch wheel, but my attitude towards those items may change over time. I do wish they had put the patch buttons in the same place as on the Lucina. My eyes have a hard time seeing the buttons.

Sounds:
The Violin & Cello "SuperNatural" sounds are excellent, but I'd never use the string ensemble and pad patches on stage. The AX-Synth screams to be used as a lead instrument. The Lead Guitar and Synth patches are great and I've never heard a sax played as well on any synth.

I started using the editor today and will be replacing the patches that "don't tickle my fancy" little by little. The editor is quite easy to navigate so far.

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum with this little critique after three days with this fine instrument.

- phattbuzz
Arjan

Re: Ax-Synth: newest addition to my keyboard arsenal

Post by Arjan »

Congrats! I haven't had more than 30 minutes time to play with mine so far. I'm sure you will enjoy playing yours, despite the fact that it's white ;-)