AX-Synth LAYERS and PEDAL questions.

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
m3m

AX-Synth LAYERS and PEDAL questions.

Post by m3m »

Hallo friends,

I have 2 questions about AX-Synth:

1. Is it possible to play more then 1 sound on AX-Synth (without any external midi.., just only with ax-synth), save to favourite preference or something with software like this? (for example as on juno stage - 16part list..)? and for example split into 2 areas of 2x2 octaves with 8 and 8 multitimbral sounds?
And if I save it to memory A1 toB8, is it possible to change any sound (patch) of this 16 sounds in layers LIVE and still have other 15 active?

2.Is it possible ti change any of patch with foot pedal?
And is it possible, if I have more layers, to change favourite performance for example from A1 to A2 with pedal during playing?

(i am thinking for sell by GW-8 and buy Juno-Stage or AX-Synth for new live band with live drummer and bass guitar player..), during singing I wish to play cover with strings/synth.. and during solo I'll play sax or el.guitar ...

Thanks for your answers..
Arjan

Re: AX-Synth LAYERS and PEDAL questions.

Post by Arjan »

1. Is it possible to play more then 1 sound on AX-Synth (without any external midi.., just only with ax-synth)

The AX Synth is not multi-timbral (manual page 16) so the answer is no.
2.Is it possible ti change any of patch with foot pedal?

Not as far as I know, but you can change the function of the OCTAVE/VARIATION buttons on the neck to select tones. From the manual (page 18):
You can also use the OCTAVE/VARIATION [+]/[–] buttons
on the neck to select Tones. To do so, you first
need to assign them the “Uar” function.
(a) Hold down the [SHIFT] button and press OCTAVE/
VARIATION [+] or [–] to select “Uar” (see the display).
The [WRITE] button flashes.
(b) Keep holding the [SHIFT] button and press the
[WRITE] button to confirm your selection.
You only need to make this selection once: the
AX-Synth will remember it until you change it again.
(c) Release the [SHIFT] button.
(d) Use OCTAVE/VARIATION [+]/[–] to select Tones in the
same way as VARIATION [DEC÷–]/[INC÷+].
m3m

Post by m3m »

Thanks for answer..
fuzztone

Post by fuzztone »

Yes, you can change patches with a foot pedal. I use the classic Yamaha MFC-10 that has two modes, Program Change and Function. In PC mode, press the X10 button once for the tens digit, then one of the buttons 0-9 for the ones digit. If you're already in say patch 11 then just press the 9 to send patch 19. Or for patches from 100-128, press the X10 button twice, then the tens, then the ones. You get used to it pretty quick.
Two BUTs: you need a program change table to translate the digital command 1-128 into AX-synth patch names and numbers. AX bank 1, patch 3 is PC03, easy! But there's 32 variations (tones) in each AX family. Note that these are not trad MIDI banks of 128 tones. The AX accepts PC commands in the CURRENT Bank. There are two possible banks on the AX. MIDI Bank 1 is AX families 1-4 and MIDI Bnk 2 is AX families 5-8. So just press any patch such as 5-1 to access any of the tones in AX banks. The MFC doesn't send Bank Select messages in PC mode, but it does in Function mode. Different foot controllers will have different command structures, like the Behringer FCB. I also have a Keith Macmillan SoftStep pedal, which I'm still learning to program. The best thing is the capability to use the Aftertouch via foot pedal, but in designing new sounds, I expect to use the AX Matrix Control and Multi-Effect Control fairly often, along with assignable FC (foot controller, CC4), Expression (CC11) for Resonance and Cutoff, and Portamento (CC05), some of my favourite controls, along with CC7 Volume and CC1 (Modulation), standard. That frees up the AX to control another synth down the line such as the Yamaha VL-70m using the D Beam controller assigned to Breath (CC2).
I was pleased to discover that the AX always receives MIDI commands, even with the TX not enabled. It's got some great onboard sounds, such as the Super Natural trombone, too, and even the regular piano sounds like 8-15 are not bad. I love my AX!
Ammo