Setting a Midi controller to Lucina AX-09

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
TheLeadingSaw

Setting a Midi controller to Lucina AX-09

Post by TheLeadingSaw »

Hey
Well, I guess this forum is filled with AX Synth owners but I hope it's about the same.
Tommorow I have a school gig (a music school, anually gigs etc.) and I said I'll bring my AX-09 that we can plug in via MIDI to the Kurzweil SP88 which is a great controller and one of the keyboards there.
I didn't get a chance to try out the connection between the two and I'll do it tommorow, but wanted to prepare myself so I don't get lost tommorow. Once I got my MIDI cable, should it be "plug and play"?
What settings should I chance on the AX-09? Is there should be a problem with plugging a 37 keys keyboard to an 88 keys controller?
By the way, if I'm already at the AX forum, is there an option to change the mono sounds on AX-09 to poly like you can on the AX Synth?

Thanks in advance
-G
Arjan

Re: Setting a Midi controller to Lucina AX-09

Post by Arjan »

You seem to have the term controller mixed up or at least your intention is not clear. Do you want to play the actual keys on your Lucina with the sound coming from the Kurzweil or vice versa? What are you hoping to accomplish with this setup?

Number of physical keys is not an issue regardless.
rr2011

Post by rr2011 »

You might need to spend a little time with the manual :)

The Lucina MIDI connection is MIDI OUT only;
external control of the Lucina is available only through the USB connection and a computer.

Currently, Roland is not offering an editor for the Lucina.

EDIT:

I should have quoted - comments meant for the TheLeadingSaw... :)
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

rr2011 wrote:You might need to spend a little time with the manual :)
That would make sense if I had a Lucina, but I don't; I have an Ax Synth.

EDIT: I never noticed it wasn't the original poster who wrote that. Sorry about that :-)
rr2011 wrote:The Lucina MIDI connection is MIDI OUT only;
In that case you are indeed using the term controller contrary to it's actual meaning (in the context of MIDI); in the scenario you describe your Lucina is the (MIDI) controller (the device sending MIDI events, thereby controlling the receiving device) and the Kurzweil is playing the part (no pun intended) of sound module.

I'm not going to read the Lucina manual but I'm pretty sure that it will be transmitting on MIDI channel 1 by default. Likewise, the Kurzweil is quite likely to respond to MIDI channel 1 by default as well. Even if it has a multi-timbral mode, which I assume it does, one of it's 'parts' is still going to respond to MIDI channel 1 in all likelyhood.

Chances are that you can indeed plug in a MIDI cable from your Lucina's MIDI OUT and into the Kurzweils MIDI IN and be able to play (control :-) ) the Kurzweil from your Lucina.
TheLeadingSaw

Post by TheLeadingSaw »

What I wanted to do is control the Lucina with the Kurzweil (play the Kurzweil keybed and get sound out of the Lucina). It turns out it can't just work, you have to change a few stuff around there. But still, worth knowing for the future, when I connect the Lucina to a MIDI controller, is there any preferences I should check or change on the Lucina itself?
rr2011

Post by rr2011 »

TheLeadingSaw wrote:What I wanted to do is control the Lucina with the Kurzweil (play the Kurzweil keybed and get sound out of the Lucina). It turns out it can't just work, you have to change a few stuff around there. But still, worth knowing for the future, when I connect the Lucina to a MIDI controller, is there any preferences I should check or change on the Lucina itself?
The MIDI channels of the controller (Lucina) and external sound source (sound module, another keyboard, etc.) need to match. See page 20 of the Lucina manual, "Connecting Other Equipment". At a minimum, both devices will need to be communication on the same MIDI channel. : )
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

TheLeadingSaw wrote:What I wanted to do is control the Lucina with the Kurzweil (play the Kurzweil keybed and get sound out of the Lucina).
Ah, you used the term controller correctly after all :-)
TheLeadingSaw wrote:It turns out it can't just work, you have to change a few stuff around there. But still, worth knowing for the future, when I connect the Lucina to a MIDI controller
If the Lucina only has a USB based 'MIDI' input the only type of 'controller' your are likely going to be able to connect it to is a computer. Keyboards that have USB MIDI can usually only connect to a 'host, normally a computer. You can't have two 'targets' connected to each other directly.

You could use a computer as a go-between:
..............MIDI or USB.................USB
Kurzweil -----------------------> PC ----------------> Lucina
(or other controller)

with the PC running a program like MIDI-OX to do the forwarding.
TheLeadingSaw

Post by TheLeadingSaw »

Well, I hope someone here can answer me, this time I'll be more clear.
The controller is a Yamaha P140. I want to play the P140 keybed and get the sound of the Lucina.
The P14O has 3 Midi inputs (In, Out, and something else, I don't know what) and the Lucina only has Midi out. Is that possible? I mean, without a computer. Because to me, it looks stupid that a 37 keys keyboard is ment to CONTROL other keyboards...
If so, does that mean the Lucina can't be controlled by other keyboards with a computer involved?
I hope not, because the best thing that will come out of that, is that I'll be able to control the Slim Phatty with it (I get it two weeks from now).
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

TheLeadingSaw wrote:I want to play the P140 keybed and get the sound of the Lucina.
The P14O has 3 Midi inputs (In, Out, and something else, I don't know what) and the Lucina only has Midi out. Is that possible?
No. At least not without going through a PC to connect the Lucina through USB.
TheLeadingSaw wrote:Because to me, it looks stupid that a 37 keys keyboard is ment to CONTROL other keyboards...
Well, traditionally that's what keytars have been used most for. In fact there are very few keytars with sound engines of their own. The AX Synth and the Lucina are Roland's first keytars to have one, previous Roland offerings were strictly MIDI controllers.
5thElement

Post by 5thElement »

TheLeadingSaw wrote:Well, I hope someone here can answer me, this time I'll be more clear.
The controller is a Yamaha P140. I want to play the P140 keybed and get the sound of the Lucina.
The P14O has 3 Midi inputs (In, Out, and something else, I don't know what) and the Lucina only has Midi out. Is that possible? I mean, without a computer. Because to me, it looks stupid that a 37 keys keyboard is ment to CONTROL other keyboards...
Actually you have it the wrong way round. You wouldn't buy an AX-09 and want to use it as an exterior sound source. It has a limited sound set (although a very good one), it's not multitimbral, no splits or layering, and most importantly NO MIDI IN! (except via PC)

If you need more sounds a sound module like the Roland Sonic Cell or a full spec mini keyboard like the Korg Microstation would be a better bet.
TheLeadingSaw

Post by TheLeadingSaw »

Oh, I understand it now..
Well, I'm not going to replace the Lucina because I actually got it for 300$ (from a friend, somewhere in the far east) and found out it was a great thing, at my home studio it is also the MIDI controller (I work with alot of awesome VSTs like Omnisphere) and also good for kicking guitar players right in the ASS!

Thanks for the answers everyone!
5thElement

Post by 5thElement »

TheLeadingSaw wrote:Oh, I understand it now..
Well, I'm not going to replace the Lucina because I actually got it for 300$ (from a friend, somewhere in the far east) and found out it was a great thing, at my home studio it is also the MIDI controller (I work with alot of awesome VSTs like Omnisphere) and also good for kicking guitar players right in the ASS!

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Good call . Definitely keep your Lucina - great piece of kit! I use mine stand alone and also MIDIed into my Juno Stage. Guitar sounds on the Stage in particular are way better when played with the Lucina (the bender and mod bar on the Lucina are set up beautifully).

But you are correct, Lucina's best feature is blowing the guitar player off the stage!

Good Luck.
carpenzano

Post by carpenzano »

It's clear to me that I can't control Lucina from another midi keyboard using the classic midi output/input, as Lucina has no midi input.
But if my midi controller has a USB midi output (I have an Edirol PCR-800) is there a way to control Lucina from it via a USB connection without using a computer?
Thanks.
Giovanni
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

carpenzano wrote:But if my midi controller has a USB midi output (I have an Edirol PCR-800) is there a way to control Lucina from it via a USB connection without using a computer?
No. Both the Lucina and Edirol are what you might call 'target' (not an official term in USB nomenclature) USB devices and both expect a 'host', ie a computer, on the other end. They cannot talk directly to each other.
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

In case anyone here is still looking for a way to control their Lucina from a regular MIDI port (DIN, not USB), there is now a solution that does not require using a full-blown computer:

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

NOTE: I'm assuming here that the Lucina is MIDI 'Class Compliant', ie. that it can normally be used on a PC without having to install any specific drivers. I know my Roland/Edirol and Roland/CakeWalk MIDI interfaces are class compliant (even if they perform better with their dedicated drivers). Maybe someone here can confirm if that's the case with the Lucina as well.

Have fun,
Arjan