Question about portamento

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Schonberg

Question about portamento

Post by Schonberg »

I'm trying to simulate a slide guitar sound on my AX, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the portamento works. I've tried browsing the help file in the editor, but that didn't solve the issue. It should be possible to create really long portamentos, right? (For example a portamento time on, say, 3-4 seconds). How do I do that?

The parameters in Patch Common are set like this:

MONO/POLY: MONO

LEGATO
SW: ON
RETRIGGER: OFF

PORTAMENTO
SW: ON
MODE: LEGATO
TYPE: TIME
START: PITCH
TIME: 127

I can't hear any portamento at all with these settings.

Do I need to adjust something outside Patch Common?
Raccoon_

Re: Question about portamento

Post by Raccoon_ »

Hi

maybe try to test "legato" setting and be sure that you've pressed portamento button. When I was discovering that part of editor I used manual and I get everything with no problems.

"Time" is setting time of portamento.
and "Pitch/Note" is setting whether portamento is starting from current pitch that sound module is playing or from current key you're pressing

Not sure, coz writing it from memory
Schonberg

Post by Schonberg »

I've tried changing between LEGATO/NORMAL and PITCH/NOTE, but it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. I've tried changing the TIME-value as well, and I always make sure the portamento button is lit. The problem seems to be that I simply can't activate the portamento properly, because changing the detailed parameters often has no effect at all.
Raccoon_

Post by Raccoon_ »

aha

Which patch you're editing?
Schonberg

Post by Schonberg »

I started off editing one of the guitar patches (can't remember which), but I later ended up building my own sound from an initialized patch. I can't apply portamento to either of them, so there's got to be some key setting that I've overlooked. Is there any other switches/parameters I should pay attention to, besides the strictly portamento-related ones?