Shoe sustain pedal

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
captaincowhouse

Shoe sustain pedal

Post by captaincowhouse »

So, i've had this idea for quite a while, about making a small, thin sustain button, that could be in my shoe, with the wire running down my leg. Basically, it all stems from having a wireless, and wanting to be able to play some piano-ey stuff, when not routed to one spot on stage.

It could all work quite easily, but Roland have to go and make their sustain polarities opposite to most keyboards. Long times. So it means that rather than the button connecting the circuit when you press it(like you would expect when you think of sustain pedals, nothing fancy, just a standard circuit switch), you have a "push to break" button. Basically meaning that with the pedal left as-is, the circuit is complete, but to sustain you have to break the circuit. Bit non-sensical but what do I know?

I did some research (and lot's of soldering and messing about with cables) today, and that's how I found out about all the polarity stuff, and i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to do this better than what i'm planning.

--------------
The plan!

My plan is to have this button under my big toe, and in my shoe. Meaning I have to cut a hole in the insole of my shoe where the button will go. The wire will run up my trouser leg, come out at the top, with enough slack so that I can throw the synth around a bit without fear of breaking any wires.

All the buttons I can find are quite tall, which means I'd need some thick soled shoes to accomodate. I was wondering if anyone would know a better way to go about it. And also, maybe give you guys some ideas of things to "mod" your ax-synth.
Arjan

Re: Shoe sustain pedal

Post by Arjan »

Perhaps you could use a Force (pressure) Sensitive Resistor (FSR)? These have a high resistance normally and lower their resistance when pressure is applied. They are very thin but first you'd have to find out at what resistance the Ax pedal input differentiates between 'closed' (high resistance) and 'open' (low resistance). You could put a normal appropriately dimensioned resistor in series or parallel with the FSR to 'move' the switching point.

This is just a theory but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The downside is that you won't have any tactile feedback, although most regular 'buttons' will not have sufficient resistance to provide much tactile feedback either. Normally Closed (n.c. or nc) pushbuttons do exist by the way.
secret Roland agent

Post by secret Roland agent »

I've had some . . . how should I put this . . . experience with running wiring through my clothes in the past. (Don't ask! It was all Bernice's idea.) Take it from me! Be careful when drinking that you don't spill anything on yourself!
hussy888

Post by hussy888 »

Thanks for the post