AX Synth Controller Capabilities

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
spacenorman

AX Synth Controller Capabilities

Post by spacenorman »

My new AX Synth was delivered 3 days ago - and I've spent hours playing with my new toy. I'm happy as can be with the way the keybed feels as well the placement and usability of the "playability" features such as the D-beam, the octave switch buttons, etc. However, I'm struggling mightily coming to grips with the incredible limitations that Roland has built into the device when used as a MIDI controller! My two biggest issues are:

1. There's no way to save and subsequently transmit MSB and LSB parameters when trying to control a remote device.

2. The Roland MIDI implementation does not appear to transmit volume knob data from the AX synth to a remote sound module (MIDI CC #007).

While the AX Synth's "on-board" sounds are OK - they certainly aren't in the same league as the sounds available to me on my "sit down rig" (which consists of a CP300, a Motif ES Rack unit and an RD700SX). Without the ability to send a FULL patch change message to a remote device (i.e., one with MSB, LSB and Prog Change #) or the ability adjust the volume of that remote device - I'm still tied to my "sit down rig"!

I'm hoping that somebody with more AX Synth experience than I will tell me that my problem is between the seat and the keyboard - and explain to me how foolish I am for missing the section in the manual that explains how to do what I haven't yet been able to do!