Opening up the AX-Synth

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
DaMaul

Opening up the AX-Synth

Post by DaMaul »

Has anyone out there opened up the AX-Synth? Anything important to know about what to do?

I need to replace my mod-bar and want to know if it's a repair I could do myself rather than going through the expense & hassle of shipping it to an engineer.
Arjan

Re: Opening up the AX-Synth

Post by Arjan »

Has anyone out there opened up the AX-Synth? Anything important to know about what to do?
Not really. Just make sure that when you re-assemble the thing that you align the self-tapping screws with the existing thread. I believe all screws are identical.

Also, it's probably best not to disconnect the leads connecting both halves of the board, even though they are a bit short. And you might want to place a towel or something on the keys so that if the front panel part rests on the keys the sharp things sticking 'out' of it don't make scratches on them.

Here are some links to other threads on this forum (some with pictures of the inside):

Just built wireless MIDI into my AX Synth

AX-Synth Strap locks

I modulated too hard... :(

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
DaMaul

Re: Opening up the AX-Synth

Post by DaMaul »

In the end I managed to get Roland to agree to extend my warranty to 3 years from the date of purchase and they covered the cost of the fix and sorted out the delivery. Quite impressed by their customer service actually!

I had neglected to register for the 3 year warranty extension within the first 90 days after I purchased it, but they agreed to extend it anyway! They picked it up, fixed it and returned it within a week. Good job.

Quite happy with the new mod-bar. It feels a lot sturdier than before, requires a bit more pressure to push it in which I prefer I think. In another thread I heard that they'd redesigned the component. Hopefully it will last longer than the last one!