AX Edge anyone?

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Duplobaustein

AX Edge anyone?

Post by Duplobaustein »

Hi,

has anyone experience with the new edge? How does it work in terms of playability and controls on stage? How does the Bluetooth work?

atb,
Duplo
Tom Williams

Re: AX Edge anyone?

Post by Tom Williams »

Wow -- signs of life. Hi Duplo -- we've crossed paths on one or two other forums; it's almost creepy. :-)

I traded up to an Edge from my AX-Synth a couple of months ago.

Upside: excellent, solid keyboard. Built-in patches tend to be useful and full-sounding.

Downside: I have had lousy luck with the Android-based editor, to the point that I have all but given up on personalizing existing patches. As a result, I have not yet been able to make the AX-Edge truly "mine." More to the point, it is currently not as useful to me as the AX-Synth was, even with the much improved controllers and routing capabilities.

Am I dumping it? Nope. It's quite playable, and I am sure I will go at the task of editing/tweaking again soon. I still have high hopes for the instrument.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Thanks for the reply! I will give the Edge a try soon to replace my JD XA on stage.

Do you use wireless Midi?
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Duplobaustein wrote:Do you use wireless Midi?
No. Indeed, I am hoping to get the Edge itself to make the sounds I want, although so far the programming experience has been quite unrewarding, due to difficulties with a phone-based editing program.
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

Well, some progress.

I finally got deep enough into the editor on my Android tablet to modify a bass guitar -- changed the effect of the squeezy bar from vibrato to a half-step (one fret) upward pitch bend, and then add a milder pitch bend to the aftertouch. Wrote that out as a new "part" (versus partial -- lousy nomenclature) and saved that program as the new bass guitar at position 2.30.

It feels like every write operation requires a total new re-read of the entire ROM on the AX Edge. Not sure that that's actually occurring, but it sure feels like it.