AX-Edge Tips and Tricks

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Tom Williams

AX-Edge Tips and Tricks

Post by Tom Williams »

I've had some time to work a lot with the AX Edge recently, so I figured I'd start a thread with useful things I've learned. Hopefully, other Edge Programmers (are you out there?) can contribute as well.

First off: the AX-Edge is truly multitimbral. The TL;DR explanation is that the Switch function (at the program level) only applies to the local (AX Edge) Keyboard -- not to MIDI inputs. Yay!

Longer version:
Due to its portability I've begun using it as my band practice instrument. I also keep a simple 88 key MIDI controller (always on channel 1) at the rehearsal site.

I started out by editing an organ program. I copied the organ to part 2 and tweaked it to my liking. Then I set up a piano in Part 1. Also, I set the AX Edge's basic MIDI channel to 1.

Here's the fun part: I switched Part 1 Off, Part 2 On. Part 1 now responds to external MIDI, but does not play from the AX keyboard. With the AX-Edge on an upper keyboard stand tier, I now have piano on bottom and organ on top.