Mapping CC Data in the AX-Synth

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
danrohan

Mapping CC Data in the AX-Synth

Post by danrohan »

I am using an external midi controller to change the values of the synth patch on the keytar in real-time.

In the AX-Synth Editor under MFX Effects there is a Control Source -> Destination field for selecting and controlling parameters.

I can transmit CC data (ADSR Envelope Attack 72 for example) and the synth reads the data and responds correctly but ....

If I try and use that CC value or any other CC value to control the MFX parameter nothing happens.

Why can't I map CC data to any parameter on the AX-Synth?
Tom Williams

Re: Mapping CC Data in the AX-Synth

Post by Tom Williams »

To clarify: are you saying that you can change voice parameters with MIDI CCs, but not effects parameters? If you would, give us an explicit example of an effects parameter you want to change.
danrohan

Post by danrohan »

... are you saying that you can change voice parameters with MIDI CCs, but not effects parameters?

Yes.

For example: I can map CC 72 and change the Attack of the Amp Envelope.

But I can't map any CC to the Control Source -> Destination in the MFX section of the AX-Synth Editor.

Using MIDI-OX and my Edirol PCR800 I can map SysEx data to any individual parameter for example:

45. Delay
Dry/Wet F0 41 10 00 00 3C 12 SS 1F 00 02 45 08 00 DT S1 F7

Feedback F0 41 10 00 00 3C 12 SS 1F 00 02 35 08 00 DT S1 F7

...but this is cumbersome and requires each and every effect and it's variables to be mapped individually.

I have tried various CC values but the AX-Synth won't read a CC value into the Control Source -> Destination.

Do you know how to do this?
Tom Williams

Post by Tom Williams »

I assume you've seen page 18 of the parameter guide....

Hey, a new thought -- are the effects you want to control on the basic MIDI channel or a subsequent channel? I know that I have been able to modify effects using local MFX controls (e.g., use button 1 to toggle a Leslie speaker), and the existence of a MIDI parameter input sure implies MIDI control, but I have not yet attempted that.

If I can get an external controller to change e.g., Leslie speed or a distortion setting, I will report back. Come to think of it, this forum gets so little traffic I guess I will report back if I don't get it to work.