Trying to get audio from Ax-Edge through PC

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
Corvustech

Trying to get audio from Ax-Edge through PC

Post by Corvustech »

Hello all, I'm relatively knew to the scene but I have been performing music lately via the internet as a way to keep socially distant. I recently obtained an Ax Edge to go with my mic and 4i4, but am having trouble getting the audio to do what i want it to do. The Edge plays fine with a direct mic input, but if I plug it in via Midi to the 4i4, I get no sound through the PC.

I can't use Monitors to test because I am in a condo with an HOA. I want to use the impressive sound bank on the Edge directly through my computer to broadcast out, but I need to be able to hear it through my headphones on the PC as well to confirm it's actually playing something and to keep vocals with the music. The manual wasn't very helpful, as it indicated I would need to connect to the 4i4, but another part said I could use the USB connection to do this. I haven't tried the USB yet and have the A-B cable on order, but the instructions do say explicitly in one place that to record from the Edge into the PC I needed to connect through the 4i4. I've tried hooking up the LIne Out jacks in the back of the Scarlett as well as the Microphone jack to the PC Line In jack, but to no avail. I sort of need to pass it all through the Scarlett so that Windows detects the Scarlett as the sole recording device anyway. What am I doing wrong with the Ax that I'm not getting sound? I do see the Midi indicator light up on the interface, but it supposedly working through Midi doesn't make sense to me, as I didn't think sound was passed down a Midi cable, just raw key input.
Tom Williams

Re: Trying to get audio from Ax-Edge through PC

Post by Tom Williams »

First a general rule: ONLY connect inputs to outputs. Think of an input as a receiver, and output as a transmitter. Never connect a microphone to an output -- the mic "transmits" sound to the equipment, so it goes to an input.

Second rule: only audio cables will get sounds from the AX-Edge. MIDI, for today's discussion, is meaningless / useless.

In this message we're going to connect the output of the AX-Edge to the input of the 4i4, and then the output of the 4i4 (using USB) will be an input to your PC.

Please refer to the AX-Edge Owner's Manual page 6, connector "A"

So, the minimum connections to get audio to your PC are:

==========================================
AX-Edge L/Mono --> 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) TS Male-to-male audio cable (see note 1)
Other end of that cable --> 4i4 Channel 3 Line Input (on back of the unit)

USB Cable into 4i4 on back (right beside the word "Focusrite")
Other end of that cable into your PC's USB input.

Plug Headphones in the usual place on the PC.

(For stereo, use a second TS cable to connect the "R" output jack on the AX-Edge to the 4i4 channel 4 line input.)
==========================================

(note 1) regular cable used between a guitar and its amplifier

Good luck!