AX 7 will not Write

Forum for AX series synths and keytars and all things for those who love that "on the shoulder" look.
jakebreak67

AX 7 will not Write

Post by jakebreak67 »

Just dug out my AX7 which has been in storage for a few years. When I power it on it says factory set up. When I try to save a patch for ex. A11, after editing my parameters on patch A11, I press and hold write select A11 which is flashing, while still holding write I press enter and it stops flashing but doesn’t save to memory. The red dot at bottom right of the A11 returns. If I go to A12 and back to A11 the red dot is gone and none of my settings are recalled in the patch. I think the red dot is a designation that a parameter in the patch has been edited and needs to be saved. I have done a factory reset with no results. I notice that all parameters of every patch have a value of zero which seems strange.
jakebreak67

Re: AX 7 will not Write

Post by jakebreak67 »

Well after booting into service mode and doing a test on the memory I am getting error. I am thinking the EEPROM which is IC6 on the circuit board is bad. There is no support for this product at all at Roland and they don’t have any parts. I called and spoke to a tech asking if I could just replace the EEPROM with an off the shelf replacement and he said the keyboard probably wouldn’t boot up if I replaced with an empty EEPROM so I decided to completely remove the chip from the board which I did and it booted normally with the same issue where everything worked fine but of course unable to save patches. Soldered it back in and still the same issue so will leave it in place until I figure out what to do next. I may just buy an empty replacement EEPROM IC and see what happens. Not sure if the EEPROM chip needs to be pre programmed before it will work. I am also in the process of tracking down one of the original designers Andrew Leggo to see if he may be able to help.
kiskadar69

Post by kiskadar69 »

My fingers are crossed for you. I don't have a Roland AX-7 or Roland A-37, but I wonder if you'll be able to fix it.
alman007

Post by alman007 »

Hi there, is there any update on this Memory error/EEProm issue.