Pls help... My Di de-tunes while playing

Forum for JUNO-Di
arpeggio_dp

Pls help... My Di de-tunes while playing

Post by arpeggio_dp »

hi . im just new here. i was just looking around to find support for my juno di. i consider my self as a total newbie and the juno- di is actually my first synth.
i use my di in church. but lately i dont know was wrong with it. while playing live during services it shifts one key lower and stays there unless i reset the octave by pressing + & - . sometimes it happens when im in dual mode on layering, especialy when im using the damper pedal for sus........
im not sure whats wrong and i dont know where to start

please help !!!
nateM.

Re: Pls help... My Di de-tunes while playing

Post by nateM. »

hello! :) im new to junodi too.
does it happen all the time? or just certain time?
remember kse,, u can assign dif. seeting for each note in the keys... :P , so mybe you accidentaly assigned that key with some setings that i dun't know. :D

how bout try to reset the keyboard into facotory settings? :) :)

PS: filipno here too! :)
sagemi

Post by sagemi »

guess what; you're not alone. I've just posted a help note myself on the forum titled "pitch issues". At first i thought that it was a hold pedal issue. But on checking, found that the one i bought (DP10) was suitable according to the manual. Then i got an EV-5 because it was recommended. It detuned even while using it as well. It's potentially embarassing when playing live ( which it was meant for anyway). The darndest thing is that Roland doesn't have a help line on its website. Finding my confidence in the brand waning. What I do though is to transpose one tone up. But with a renowned brand like Roland, you'd expect the horns to toot and bells tinkle at the very least right?
nateM.

Post by nateM. »

helllo :)

um , my juno is about 1 month old now. :)
did you try to reset the keyboard into factory settings?
u can try that, and try to see if it solves your problem. :)
I AM

Post by I AM »

just 5 cents... before performing factory reset be sure to backup your own created patches somehow, or after reset everything created by you will disappear as Cheshire Cat... i'm not a Di user, so don't know how to do a backup, probably with librarian...
sarthak

Post by sarthak »

Yes
squeak_D

Post by squeak_D »

Have you checked your pitch/mod joysticks? Sometimes a faulty joystick can get messed up with the calibration upon start up of the synth. I just recently had to send my Di in for a warranty repair to the joystick. It was faulty and caused the pitchbending to be way off.., and in some cases patches were a bit out of tune because of it.

My joystick became hyper-sensitive. Just barely touching the stick caused a shift in pitch. Check your joysticks and see if any pitch issues are related to a malfuctioning stick.

I do remember reading problems about detuning and pitch issues with the Juno-G too. I'm also starting to wonder if the "sustain bug" has been carried over to the Di as well. I created a patch in dual mode the other day and notes were dropping out left and right. IMO it sounded more like a sustain problem than a poly problem.
kotking

Post by kotking »

I faced the detuning problem a couple of times. Here are three things you should do and see if it goes away as it went off in mine.

1) Never power on the Juno Di with the usb stick already connected.
2) When powering on the Juno Di, make sure that the joystick is in its home (free) position
3) Once boot up is complete, move the joystick in both axes once, before playing anything.
DJWRightie

Post by DJWRightie »

My pich-bender has gone crazy too :( , particulary when playing the Guitar patches just putting modulation on the patch causes it to bend down and up eraticaly :( And its out of warrenty. I had some doubts about some of the build quality of the machine, but for the price you pay, i cant moan.
squeak_D

Post by squeak_D »

This issue with the joysticks is really starting to pop up more frequently with Di users. I've spoken to several on YouTube who have the same problem with theirs. If I rememer.., the Juno-G was having similiar issues with its joystick too (aside from the failing screens).

Since I've gotten mine back from having the stick repaired (maybe it's just me).., but the spring in this new replacement feels stronger then the previous one.
DJWRightie

Post by DJWRightie »

Hey squeek. Im running out of warranty and my mum cant find the receipt :(

How much do you recon it will cost for off warranty repair?
squeak_D

Post by squeak_D »

That's really hard to say. What you'll need to do is contact Roland. Did you register your Di with Roland aftering buying it? If you've lost a receipt you can often use the date of your product registration to help establish ownership, and time of purchase.

For me (in the USA).., all I had to do was ship my Di to the retailer. I got it from Sweetwater.com.., and Sweetwater is a HUGE company here with their own technical staff..., and they're a licensed repair facility for almost everything they sell.

My cost was just in shipping the unit to them. They covered the repair and the return shipping. Depending on where you're located (price) can best be determined by contacting Roland. You may even be able to contact the retailer you purchased your unit from. They may have a record of the sale and could possibly email you a printable receipt.
keybasher

Post by keybasher »

Hi, I've got a different issue on the detune problem. My Di just shifted it's tune up a semitone / halfstep, so a C note played a C#. Was OK on Tuesday at home, by Wednesday band practice in our rehearsal room it had changed. I really can't see anything I've done to do this and I've had to reset the master tune to 415.3 Hz to bring it back into tune. Anybody else seen this & found the cause? Hope it doesn't happen again as this is as low as the master tune setting will go! NB doesn't seem to be anything to do with the pitch/ mod lever, this is nice & tight as ever & springs back to centre well.
keybasher

Post by keybasher »

Just did a factory reset which has sorted the detune out. remembered to backup my patches but unfortunately forgot to back up my performances to the Librarian so I've got a bit of work to do now. Hope anybody reading this avoids this simple mistake.
JLMusic

Post by JLMusic »

I know this is an old thread, but, have had my Di (with current firmware) for about 2 years and had this "out of tune" issue yesterday (again) at a gig. Had to reboot (cold boot) 2 times before the unit was back "in tune". This problem occurs intermittently. There are many speculative reasons for this, but, don't see a tried and true explanation for why it occurs and a permanent fix.