Dual sound - transposing one or both sounds

Forum for JUNO-Di
JazzKeyboardist

Dual sound - transposing one or both sounds

Post by JazzKeyboardist »

I created a Dual layered sound with a Soprano Sax on top and the Baritone Sax on the bottom. I'm creating this for the song Peg by Steely Dan. The intro has a soprano and something a couple of octaves lower that play the lead line and I'm trying to transpose the Baritone so that it will sound 2 octaves lower when I'm playing the same note as the Soprano. Changing the octave on the Bari and saving it as a performance patch and using the modified patch on the lower layer of the Dual Performance setup did not work. You can save many other performance parameters into the Performance sound but I can't figure out how to have two instruments, one of which is transposed. If you are modifying the patch within the Performance setup and you press Octave Up or Down, save the patch, then save the Performance setup, it doesn't work that way either. I even tried modifying the patch outside the Performance setup, then making certain that the modified patch was still listed in the Performance setup, saving the Performance setup. That did not even work. The manual says that you can modify either or both sounds in a Dual or Split Performance setup and save it that way, but it either doesn't remember that it has been modified by an octave or it transposes both patches by the same octave. How do I accomplish this!
echung

Re: Dual sound - transposing one or both sounds

Post by echung »

just to clarify:
you say you are wanting to transpose only one part of a performance. (this cannot be done.)
but it sounds like you just want to change one and/or both octaves. (this CAN be done.)

this is what you are missing:
be wary of where the cursor is when you save.
so say you have your Part 1 and Part 2 set up with the tones you like, and you even change each to the octave you want.

You then have to make sure your cursor is flashing under the PERFORMANCE NUMBER OR TITLE at the top of the screen before you press WRITE and ENTER.

It WILL work now. Promise. All that other stuff wasn't necessary to do.

Also...

in the future, should you wish to take that a step further and split up the key bed with a third, fourth, 12th sound.....
this is also possible. You have to install the Juno DI Editor on your computer and hook up your Juno via USB. There is a function on the left side list called KEYBOARD RANGE. From there you can add more instruments and split and layer them up in pretty much any combo you can think of, within the Juno's key bed range (remember, only 61 keys). You can also change octaves from there too.

Hope this helps.

-e
JazzKeyboardist

Post by JazzKeyboardist »

Wow! Now that I did NOT know. That you could add more patches than the 2 default into the split. I will get the editor and give it a try. I guess I thought the di was very limited being one of Roland lower priced models. I'll check it out. I think I did get the original thing to work and it was the way you said it was, however I am next to certain that I did it that way and it didn't work on more than one occasion. Probably just the bit-gremlins out to get me. lol.
Thanks
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

echung wrote:
Also...

in the future, should you wish to take that a step further and split up the key bed with a third, fourth, 12th sound.....
this is also possible. You have to install the Juno DI Editor on your computer and hook up your Juno via USB. There is a function on the left side list called KEYBOARD RANGE. From there you can add more instruments and split and layer them up in pretty much any combo you can think of, within the Juno's key bed range (remember, only 61 keys). You can also change octaves from there too.

Hope this helps.

-e
Expanding further in order to allow for more control you can inclusively connect a second midi keyboard (dual Zone would be perfect), and control two other parts from there (provided you disable those parts from being driven from the Di's internal keyboard setting their Lower note to be the Lowest as possible and upper=Lower, like described by JazzKeyboardist).