Controlling a Juno with a Midi Controller

Forum for JUNO-Di
ryandthiele

Controlling a Juno with a Midi Controller

Post by ryandthiele »

I have a Juno Di and a M-Audio Oxygen 49 key midi controller. I play in a small country band on a budget, so i can't buy another keyboard at this time. I midied (I think that is how you say it) my Oxygen in to the Juno trying to play one sound from the Juno on the Oxygen and a different sound on the keyboard itself. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Is this even possible on the Juno? If so, please describe the process in detail as I am new to the Juno.

Thanks in Advance!
Ryan
BitwiseOperator

Re: Controlling a Juno with a Midi Controller

Post by BitwiseOperator »

The JUNO-Di has two main modes, Patch mode where it plays a single sound and Performance mode, where it can play many.

To use the JUNO-Di as a sound module to play multiple parts, you need to put the Di in Performance mode by pressing the [PERFORM] button on the right.

As there are 16 MIDI channels, you can load a different sound on each one, and then access those sounds by changing the MIDI transmit channel on an external keyboard / controller attached to the Di's MIDI in. (Or, if you are working with MIDI sequencing software, you can play different sounds on different channels at the same time.)

After you have pressed [PERFORM] and the Di is in Performance mode, the receive channels will be set as follows: part 1 to ch.1, part 2 to ch.2, ... part 16 to ch.16. (Somewhat obvious.)

“63: Seq:Template” is a generic performance template where all 16 parts are set to "001 Piano" so, using the dial, select it as your starting point.

Now, push the cursor down arrow, so the blinking cursor moves down to the sound number, which at this point should be 1. If you haven't altered anything previously, the DI's keyboard is set to channel 1, so whatever sound you select for sound 1, will be what the DI keyboard plays.

To select a sound, use the cursor down arrow to move the blinking cursor to the bottom row. Now, select any sound from any bank, exactly the same way you would normally change the sound the DI is playing. The Di will stay in performance mode.

Now, push the cursor up arrow, so the blinking cursor is on the sound number in the middle row. Rotating the dial will switch you to a different sound number.

If your Axiom is set to send MIDI on channel 2, set sound number 2 on the Di, to whatever sound you want the Axiom (or any other external controller/keyboard) to play.

Again, do this by using the cursor down arrow to move the blinking cursor to the bottom row and select any sound from any bank. Then move the cursor back up to the number to select another number/channel.

If you select other sounds for the remaining 14 channels, you will have set the Di up so when you change the send channel of the Axiom, the Di will play the sound that is selected for that channel number. However, basically you just need a sound selected as 1 for the Di to play and another sound selected for whatever number is the same as the MIDI transmit channel set on your Axiom or other external keyboard.

When you are done assigning sounds to MIDI channels, push the cursor up arrow so the blinking cursor goes to the top row where it says “63: Seq:Template” Do NOT push any buttons or turn the dial, otherwise the performance you just set up will be lost.

ONLY push [WRITE]. You will now have a choice of saving your performance setup by selecting one the user memory slots from 501 to 523 and also giving it a name. Do that, then push [WRITE] and when it asks you if you are sure, push [WRITE] again.

You have now saved your own custom performance setup with up to 16 sounds. You can recall it at any time by pressing [PERFORM] and rotating the dial to the number of your performance. The Di will remember this performance setup, even if you shut it off and unplug it.

For extra backup, you can use the librarian software that came with the Di, to save the performance to your computer. That way if something ever gets messed up and you have to hit the Di master reset, you can load the performance back into the Di.

Page 82 of the manual covers setting up performances which is Roland's term for having the Di configured with different sounds on different channels.

You may notice sounds don't sound exactly the same in Performance mode. This is because the Di only has one set of effects that is shared by all 16 channels so, the effects will not be the same as when you play a single sound in Patch mode.
Trsacar

Re: Controlling a Juno with a Midi Controller

Post by Trsacar »

Hello! I am using the Roland RD 300sx as MIDI controller and the Di as module. Now I am using Performance 003: Big & Proud on the Di. I hear only Timpani and no other sound. Does anybody knows how to have all sounds from all parts when using other controller, like playing on the Di? Thank you!