Another ugly issue: Legato only on 2 or 3 octaves

Forum for JUNO-Di
silverquimera

Another ugly issue: Legato only on 2 or 3 octaves

Post by silverquimera »

Hi guys, I would like to know if some of you also have experience this sort of "legato" issue: Choose a prefered patch with Legato (SW on), for example Synth factory patch #100 Therasqu or create a raw patch with one tone and legato turn on (SW on). Now press any note and while holding it start playing other notes higher and higher, do you notice some issue after playing two or three octaves higher? The same pitch after that? Does this happen with Gi also?

Bye and have a good one,

Julian
tnicoson

Re: Another ugly issue: Legato only on 2 or 3 octaves

Post by tnicoson »

Julian

Yes ! I get this same behavior from my Gi. I don't have the tone you mentioned, so I used the LiveSet named Theramax. I figured they were close. I press and hold the lowest C note and get legato pitch increases as expected all the way up the keyboard, until I reach the next to highest C note. After that point, I get one more pitch increase to C# and that is it. All higher key presses generate the same C# pitch. So, in other words, I get legato pitch increases for all but the last octave. However, I only observe this if the legato switch is set to "ON". If I leave it set to "TONE", as the LiveSet was originally designed, I do not observe this behavior. In that case, I get legato pitch increases all the way up the keyboard - bottom to top - as we would expect.

This really surprised me and has to be due to how Roland specifically designed the legato parameters, as the sound engines, themselves, of the Di and Gi are different. The Di's sound engine is based on an older Roland architecture while that of the Gi is based on a more recent design. So it is difficult to expect that they would both suffer from the same "bug".

I do not know if the Di provides a "TONE" option on the legato switch like the Gi, but the Q&A item at the top of the right hand column on Page 89 of the Di owner's manual addresses this issue. It is the item entitled "Sometimes, when playing legato, the pitch won’t rise." They recommend setting the legato retrigger to "ON" to circumvent the issue. It also explains why this occurs.

So - No worries - Your Di is not broken, and there is a workaround !

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted