Transpose Individual Patches??

Forum for JUNO-Di
guitarguy

Transpose Individual Patches??

Post by guitarguy »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some help here!!

I seem to have solved my first dilemma of wanting to use the dual and split features simultaneously...i.e. have a horns sound that has multiple layers (the "Proud Brass" sound that came with the pre-programmed set of patches) on a portion of the keyboard and, for example, an organ sound on another part of the keyboard so I could play multiple sounds in a song without changing patches. I see that this is doable only with the computer editor program, so I will install that and hopefully can figure it out from there!

I can't, however, seem to find the answer to my last remaining question:

Can I save a performance patch of this type and include a "transpose" of the board? i.e. is there a way to have one favorite patch saved with the board transposed down to B for example, and another with the board in standard tuning?

This will be really helpful for when my band changes keys to songs so I only have to learn them one way. I'm still relatively new to keyboards and am much better suited for key changing on guitar...hence the user name!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
tnicoson

Re: Transpose Individual Patches??

Post by tnicoson »

If you are looking to simply offset the entire board's tuning, see the Master Tune function on Page 75 of the manual. Once you have done this, you can save it to a "registration" (Roland calls these "Favorites") for quick single button recall. See Page 46 of the manual for saving settings to a "Favorite". You have ten banks of ten for a total of 100. I recommend saving standard tuning to Bank-1 Favorite-1 and alternate tunings up from there. As long as you keep the different tunings within the same Bank, you will have single button recall.

BUT . . .

If you are looking to have some patches within a performance at standard tuning while one or more others are at an offset tuning, then see below:

Typically, tuning and octave offsets are global, if not for the entire board, at least for the zone (layer or split) to which they are assigned and would affect all patches on the board or within the affected zone. However, boards that allow editing of patches will normally have a "tune" function at the patch edit level that should give you what you are looking for. On the Juno-Di, this may require the PC/MAC based patch editor to access this feature. Once the patch tuning is "tweaked", it would need to be written to (saved as) a user patch and used in place of the factory preset patch in the performance.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Not looking to have separate tunings within a single performance patch.

However, does the global tuning setting affect the board as the transpose button does? Because if the transpose button is used, it offsets the entire board, but it doesn't save within a patch. So when I switch from a piano in standard tuning on Fav 1 to a different sound with the board tuned down 1/2 step to B on Fav 2...I have to select Fav 2 and then go and change the transpose button again to select the right tuning.

If I make the change via the global tuning instead of the transpose button, you're saying it will stay with the patch? i.e. I could program:

Fav 1 - Piano in standard tuning
Fav 2 - organ tuned 1/2 step down to B (for example)
Fav 3 - horns tuned one whole step down to Bb (for example)
Fav 4 - synth in standard tuning

ETC...?

Also, do you know how this master tune function differs vs. the coarse and fine tune adjustment in the editor?

Thank you very much for the information!!
Bradmeister

Post by Bradmeister »

I achieved this by saving these to a performance and adjusting the pitch in the editor.
melism

Post by melism »

I was searching through the net on how to save patches with different octaves, i saw this forum on the net.recently i was able to figure it out, it is only by adjusting coarse tuning on the parameter