externally midi controlling a juno d (..not di)

Forum for JUNO-Di
juno dee

externally midi controlling a juno d (..not di)

Post by juno dee »

Hello
I recently bought a second hand Juno D quite cheaply. But several keys are dead/faulty
I attempted a repair but discovered that there was corrosion of the contacts and not just dust/debris etc
The [page cursor] buttons do not work at all either..here lies my main problem I think (..read on for why)
Anyways my cheap solution was to control it with another midi keyboard, which works note for note.
However when I access the [arpeggio/phase] and [chord memory] functions on the Juno D
the external midi keyboard continues to trigger a single note. i.e the [arpeggio/phase] and [chord memory]
functions are not functioning.
I assumed I might need to 'set a different output channel' or something on the [system] setting..but as the menu options are selected with the [page cursor] buttons..which as I mentioned are not working at all, I am at a loss as what, if anything I can do.
The current midi setup uses the default Juno D setting and I set the external midi keyboard to channel [1]..the only one that has any audible response/sound.
I use two midi leads, IN OUT/OUT IN, and the sound source is the headphone socket from the Juno D
using headphones of course!
Can anyone advise me, or make any suggestions?

UPDATE:
I connected my headphones to the external midi keyboard instead of the Juno D and discovered that the [arpeggio/phrase] and the [chord memory] functions worked on any, all, of the sounds on the external midi keyboard.
Why this was significant to me, naive as it may be,was that on the Juno, a small set of the 400 [arpeggios/phrases] are allocated to each of several tone banks/groups, i.e you cant use the [arpeggios/phrases] set for the guitars, on a [strings] set for example.
However with the set up I have, I have inadvertently made it possible.
I created some interesting sweeping arpeggios using the bass [arpeggios/phrases] from the Juno on a 'synth pad' sound on the external midi keyboard.
To summarise I can use 'all and any' [arpeggios/phrases], including the [chord memory] from the juno D to trigger ANY sound on the external midi keyboard.

Also significantly, using the juno keys to trigger the [arpeggios/phrases] I was able to then use the external midi keyboard to play an accompanying melody or bass part (using the same preset sound) BUT WITHOUT ANY ARPEGGIO/PHRASE ON THE MELODY/BASS PART)!!

All sounds on this UPDATE setup are provided by the external midi keyboard. So select the preset sounds using the external midi keyboard selection knob/button whatever

Fortunately in my case the 'external midi keyboard' was a Yamaha MOX, so I still had a great selection of sounds, equally as good as those on the Juno D

Some very interesting results. Especially with film score sounds

Dave