Apple launch the ipad

Forum for Apple iOS devices
francvania

Apple launch the ipad

Post by francvania »

After all the hype, it's official. No word on prices yet. Rumor is that will run on the same OS as the iphone. I was expecting somenthing that will run a Leopard. So we could use a DAW and VSTs on it. I guess will have to wait and see, but if it runs on the iphone's OS it will only be able to use iphone apps. To me that's a disapointment.

http://www.cultofmac.com/ipad-apps-look-awesome/27945?u...
francvania

Re: Apple launch the ipad

Post by francvania »

Just hope that isn't a bigger and glorified iphone or ipod touch to compete with amazon's tablet.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Very cool looking thing! But yeah there are not much you can do with iPhone/iPod apps yet - even BeatMaker is pretty basic. But I think with the new possibilities (bigger screen, faster CPU) there will be new apps for real music making in the future. There is an SD card reader accessory so you could import samples, and there are also digital recorders that work via the dock - so not a problem to get sounds in to it. Let's just wait and see - I think Apple could well revolutionize the world once again.
francvania

Post by francvania »

According to MSNBC:

"The iPad will cost $499 for a 16-gigabyte model, $599 for a 32 GB version and $699 for a 64-gigabyte model with Wi-Fi only, and will be available in 60 days. It will cost an additional $130 for units that also can use 3G, which should be out in 90 days, making the most expensive model $829. Jobs said AT&T will charge $29.99 a month for "unlimited use" and $14.99 a month for up to 250 megabytes. There will be no contract with AT&T required for the plans, he said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35085524/ns/technology_and_...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I looked at it more and I am quite disappointed that this thing is basically an oversized iPod touch. I think they should have definitely given it an iSight camera, and of course stereo speakers as well (especially since they position it as a music/video player). But we'll see if there is any new music software for it - this might get interesting if we have something more powerful and flexible than todays offerings.
francvania

Post by francvania »

I will wait for the next version, as I am sure that Apple will listen to all the requests and will put out a better ipad in the future. I totally agree about the isight camera and the stereo espeakers.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

It was the same with iPod touch - the first model lacked a speaker and volume buttons, the second generation fixed this and also added a faster processor so I got it very soon after the release. Very happy with my iPod touch but I think iPad is closer to it than to my iMac, not exactly in the middle... but I may rethink this as third-party developers offer more software. I am kind of tempted to get the iPad because of the iWork package which I rely on for all the publishing and presentations that I do... but damn a camera would be almost essential, to be able to chat with my family while on the go... *grrrrr*
francvania

Post by francvania »

I just got this from a newspaper website. Funny!
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

LOL!!! =)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

LMAO, nice one!

BTW I don't think you can crack nuts with the iPad, so that is one check mark for the stone! ;-)
Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

I was underwhelmed. I already have a decent iPod touch. Why the heck would I need this slab? Apple needs to redeem themselves quickly, or they risk losing their momentum.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Bruiser, let me explain. You have a 17" iMac. The Apple releases a 27" model and you say that "why the heck would I need this?". Well, you need this if you need an iMac with a large screen... ;-) Same for the iPad. It's like an iPod touch (which is totally awesome), just with a bigger screen, faster processor, and some new possibilities (like the iWork package, USB port accessory, Bluetooth keyboard support, etc.). And this is *exactly* why I dig the iPad.
Flumpster

Post by Flumpster »

I'm with Arty on this one.. I love my Touch and use it constantly even around the house. I would be happy with this even if it was just for the bigger screen because it will make web based tasks far more comfortable to read when at home ( I don't want to be tied to my main computer screen all the time or lug around my laptop )

but.....lol... come on apple.. why the hell is this argument with adobe still going on. We all know you left flash out originally so people couldn't play free games thru the browser forcing them to buy yours but the app store and your games have progressed way beyond flash so this is just stupid now. A quater of the web is missing you fools ;)

Artemiy : See, I don't just moan about Roland ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Flumpster, my thoughts exactly ;-) I don't care much about flash on my iPod touch, as most sites I browse are optimized for the screen and have no flash, but yes on the iPad it is problematic as many sites do have flash. However, I must note that Apple doesn't have the source code for flash, Adobe does, and they are who should provide a version for iPhone OS (which runs on ARM, not Intel CPU).

Would like to add that the iPod has changed my life quite a bit. I now read most news on it, and leave my iMac for music stuff, development, e-mail and going to the Clan. I no longer feel I am bored with sitting in front of my iMac. And yes, doing some reading is so much more comfortable in a bath... ;-)
Flumpster

Post by Flumpster »

It isn't Adobe tho Artemiy, the youtube player built into iphone uses the flash video components. Apple just refuse to let adobe use it either as an app or built in.

Have a quick read of this which I just found which was published today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/connect/news/article.cfm?c_id...