Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

Awesome MIDI control surface for iPad

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux

Re: Awesome MIDI control surface for iPad

Post by dbijoux »

Hrm... not a lemur, but getting closer!!!

I thought I read iPad wasn't suitable(read:capable) as such a MIDI device? Seems this thing, minus the extreme customization factor, could make it so.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes there is no MIDI or USB MIDI in this thing obviously, but it works as a wireless controller, i.e. also requires receiving software on your computer (as I understand). BTW this iPad app also has an iPhone/iPod version, so I might try it.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

I have been really amused by how much criticism the iPad has been getting because it can't do this and can't do that. A lot of people are very backward looking. They can only evaluate something based upon what they already know. I agree, it is harder to "Think Different", but when you do, things that didn't seem possible are indeed possible.

Some of the same kind of thing can be seen in the complaints about the Fantom. "It doesn't do this like ABC does, or it can't do that like I do it with XYZ." In fact, the Fantom sits there with an incredible amount of capability, probably more than its creators even understand. It really takes ingenuity, time, and exploration to get music out that no one anticipated was possible. And when that happens, you get a buzz that exceeds anything that can be gotten by following the steps in a tutorial or mimicking the way it is done on some other keyboard.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Great and wise words, Rodan!

I have been facing the fact that "less is more" throughout my whole life. And iPhone/iPod as well as iPad prove how terrific this concept can work for your own benefit. I must admit that my iPod touch has actually changed the way I implement my ideas in an even more radical way than the Mac did. It once again switches you away from HOW you do something, and let's you think strictly on WHAT you do.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Rodan, I'd say it's a fair assumption you are speaking from your realm of experience as well.

(Macheads unite, against the backward thinking world?)

I guess the comparison to the Lemur is rather unfair. It's 4x the cost of the 16gb iPad and specifically designed with Ableton users in mind; yet still bloody wicked.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, Rodan was specifically addressing people who bashed the iPad for it's "limitations". The unit is not even shipping yet - as with those who bash the SH-01. I hope you get what we mean.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

you talkin to me?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

dbijoux, you should try to use some smiles in your posts, you sound too serious sometimes ;-)