Apple IPad

Forum for Apple iOS devices
pjblues

Apple IPad

Post by pjblues »

Anyone using the IPad with the Fantom? If so, are there any apps that are really compliment the Fantom? I know nothing about the IPad or ITouch but they both look pretty cool. But besides cool looking are they useful?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Apple IPad

Post by Artemiy »

There is about a dozen VERY useful and interesting apps for iPad and iPod touch. And they are not toys but serious instruments.

I would recommend to have a look at these:

Beatmaker (MPC/SP style sampler with sequencer)
Jasuto and Jasuto Pro (modular synthesizer)
Argon (3-oscillator VA synth with FM, ring mod, looper and sequencer)
technoBox (TB-303 + 808/909)

I use BeatMaker, Jasuto and Argon almost every day on my iPod touch and I think they are amazing. In fact about 20% of my sound design is now done with them. It's so cool since with multi-touch you can grab more than one control at once, unlike with a single mouse pointer.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW we have a dedicated section for these devices here:
http://forums.rolandclan.com/index.php?action=show_all&fid=9
pjblues

Post by pjblues »

You are the man with the answers! I follow your lead.
Do you find that you run the beats, etc... from your ITouch through the Fantom?
I am looking for a reason to get one.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

pjblues

Post by pjblues »

Outstanding my friend, thanks so much. I will let you know which device I end up with. I am sure I will need some instruction.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I would recommend a 32 GB iPod touch, it should be under $300. 8 GB cheaper model is great too, but the 32 GB model has twice the RAM and a faster processor, so audio and sample-intensive apps will run better.

And yes, please feel free to post in our iSection!
Bombzix

Post by Bombzix »

Check out BeBot - Flare - Noise.io Pro on top of the above mentioned.
jessej

Post by jessej »

There's an Facebook group dedicated for iPad Audio/Music Apps here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=313781651056

I post videos there whenever I come across something that looks useful, I hope you all do the same. Some developers have joined in too and there was some free app codes to grab also, very generous.

Artemiy, cool that you have a page dedicated to iPad/Pods here, I didn't know that, I have to check it out.. I think there's going to be tons of useful software for the iPad for musicians...

I just posted a cool video related to polyphonic aftertouch in th facebook group.. a feature I'd love to see in a future incarnation of the iPad or whatever multitouch thingy follows...
apex

Post by apex »

Don't do it PJ. Don't go 1st generation. Next generation will be cheaper and better w/ less buggies...

Like I always say, you go that LONG GREEN $$$$$, throw some this way. I need to get this M3!!!!
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

A pretty good point there Apex, especially if you're not a diehard Apple evangelist. I've heard they are already working on the iPad III(Fall '11?) and it will definitely raise the bar for connectivity(read:firewire). I'm pretty curious how far they will take the OS and if other devices coming on the market will be able to keep pace.
Atlas5

Post by Atlas5 »

I got an iPad about a month ago. It's great fun. The music apps are pretty cool. Todate it has worked just as advertised. Web surfing works good and watching videos and even movies is great.

I know of no MIDI interface as yet, But the Line 6 iPhone interface may work soon, this should bring the thing into the studio for some serious musical work.

The sequencer apps are a little limiting right now, although it can outperform some of the old grooveboxes I have.

I have a few guitar tuners, they work well for me. The synths sound great and the interface is cool.

I can't wait until the pad touch screen technology bleeds over into the new Roland Fantom Q ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Guys I think PJ settled on iPod touch and there is no reason to hold off as it's very affordable and more portable than the iPad, while most synths I mentioned will run just as well on it. Both the iPad and iPod touch may indeed receive a camera sooner or later, but it should not be a deal-breaker for those who need it for music tasks. At least I would not wait for a several months or a year, I would rather have some serious fun ;-)

Jesse:

Yes I opened a new section here for iPhone OS devices, and I welcome you there! I think more and more people here will be getting into this. I have been creating some really awesome stuff with my iPod touch, especially with Jasuto and Argon, and this will get into professional productions.
Rodan

Post by Rodan »

Wait to buy an iPad? You can always wait and get more features, but the price you pay is not getting in on something new. You are a follower rather than a leader. If you are inventive and creative, buy now and you may set the direction that the music takes. If you are more of a craftsman, wait and buy after the direction has been determined. You will then be able to polish the techniques that those before you have come up with. It all depends upon knowing yourself, what your strengths are.

(For the record, I don't appear to have either of the musical strengths listed above. I buy early just because I was fortunate enough to have different strengths which make me able to afford it.)

-Rodan
pjblues

Post by pjblues »

Ah, good point Apex, perhaps or maybe an ITouch?