NanoStudio on iPod touch - four synths plus 909

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

NanoStudio on iPod touch - four synths plus 909

Post by Artemiy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSc0gvLHBtQ

Short house-ish track created with NanoStudio on 2nd generation iPod touch. Sounds like 1995, exactly when hardware grooveboxes had pretty much the same possibilities, but now it's four times cheaper and fits in your pocket. Gotta love the progress!
qishmish

Re: NanoStudio on iPod touch - four synths plus 909

Post by qishmish »

So.. Do u like this soft?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, I really like it. Didn't try to import my own samples yet, but the synths are very powerful there, and the effects system is also very nice. So amazing you have 4 synths, sampler, sequencer and 10 effects processors in a 100 gram pocket device...
qishmish

Post by qishmish »

About synths - or touching keyboards or piano roll - thats all?
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I've had this app for about 3 weeks and I love it.. The only problem i have is pitching samples up or down away from it's native pitch it tends to ring the frequencies.. Reminds me of the first generation samplers... But outside of that, it's a well thought out app.. I find myself on it more than beatmaker just because of the synths...

I am however very excited that things are already this good so early in the game with only being in it's first generation ... Looking forward to the evolution of these apps.. What a gift to humanity this i-stuff has been! (lol) well, At least for musicians! ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Glad you liked NanoStudio, Septimo! It is indeed surprisingly good for a first release. I did hear the interpolation issue with the sampler, but I think they'll fix that.

I would also recommend you to get Argon, it has more to offer in terms of synthesis (3 oscillators, including pretty decent 3-operator FM). And Jasuto Pro of course. These two are my main synthesizers in the pocket.

I actually plan to get the iPad next week, if I don't change my mind. I am very looking forward to iPad versions of NanoStudio and Argon which I know are in development. And when they start to support the Line6 MIDI interface... that would be heaven!
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

I'm in the same situation about buying an ipad now or waiting til it's next gen version to appear and using my ipod until then.... So many times have I been on the verge of getting one and I back out for fear that the next one will come out in a few months from now or at least news of a new one surfacing..

I was going to get Argon but then I saw Jasuto Pro, and went that route.. It's a bit overwhelming though for me as I've had it for a couple of months now, and I am still confused about a lot of things.. Mainly getting started from scratch is what gets me wondering where I wanna go from there.. Adding certain nodes, spacing certain nodes, recording node movements, has me wondering, "what could I use this for?"

Do you know exactly what sound you are looking for when creating one? Or do you tweak knobs til something shapes out of it? Most of the preset sounds on it are noises that are not too musical, and sound like they could be used for movie scoring and effects. I also love the fact that you have a user sound pallet on-line and you get it right through the app, but most people seem to be creating sound effects that won't be too useful musically... One thing is for sure, this thing sounds very nice...

Maybe you should do the Jasuto Pro Tweakbook! hahaha! ;) Maybe a video on how you start off making sounds?? And what to look for when creating certain sounds... I think I will purchase Argon today to see what good it will bring me...

Wow... How easy it is to say now, " I think I'll just buy it today" compared to the days when I had to say.. "I hope i can buy it in six months or in a year..." What an insult, huh? after buying thousands of dollars of equipment thinking you couldn't do it if you didn't spend that, now you can get your whole setup for almost nothing in comparrison..
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I hear your thoughts about the iPad Septimo! But I think this way. The new iPad won't be released before one year since the previous original model. And then, for Ukraine at least, I need 2-3 months for it to start shipping at a normal price - so I am looking at 7-9 months from today. 7-9 months that I can spend with the already available device! Why should I wait, why should I waste this time?

I'll let you know next week if I place my order. In any case, I don't think you should hold off... life is short man :-)

BTW Jasuto Pro is very cool, but yes you need to know what you're doing. That's what the modular synths are above. A lot of power but you do everything yourself. I think I can post you some of my patches so you can check them.

As about Argon, it's a pre-wired synth, with pretty much well-known, classic controls. Why wouldn't you get it? I think it's under five bucks anyway... for what it can do I think it puts some $150 plugins to shame, even though it's only monophonic. BTW, the synth in Xenon is polyphonic but is actually less capable (2 oscillators vs. 3 in Argon), just in case.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Freakin awesome Art, and you know whats even better? my partner says I can have one straight away - no arguments over spending $600 - now that is impressive :) Woohoo!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

MeNotU, I will let you know in this forum how it goes. I plan to get a 32GB WiFi + 3G version, hope they'll be available.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

16g wi-fi version for $629AU plus the lin6 midi for $70AU, nanostudio for 9.00UK. Will do me fine for less than $720AU all-up.

Haven't done my research - will the nanostudio record my Juno midi, or do I need a dedicated sequencer?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, that's a good price! 16 gig WiFi model is around $700 US here.

I don't think NanoStudio supports the Line6 MIDI interface already. There are not many apps that support it actually, since it's only started shipping a few weeks ago. But I read about a few sequencers that are already in development, so I am sure in the next couple months we will see some of them.
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Checked out Garage Band - wow nice piece of kit - love the different audio takes per channel that you can switcheroo anytime.

Let's hope GB gets on the IPad - or am I dreaming now?

At least if you can tell me that I will be able to run my Juno thru my ipad via the line6 and have at least midi, if not audio as well, and lovely sync - I'll order mine now lol.

It's rare for anything in Aussie to be as cheap as the US - recession or not, just another example that Apple do the right thing.

I'm liking this revolution thingy :)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

You can record auto into the iPad, there is a ton of apps for that, there are even 8-track DAWs out there, loopers, MPC-style machines, etc. It's only MIDI that's starting to catch up with the introduction of Line6 MIDI mobilizer.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I am uploading a few Argon sound examples to YouTube now.