The future of mobile sequencing?

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

The future of mobile sequencing?

Post by Artemiy »

Guys, I would like to show you some screenshots of the NanoStudio's sequencer, from my iPod touch. I find it quite a bliss to operate. Not as easy as on my Mac's 17" screen of course, but it's quite efficient and full-featured for such a small screen.

This is the main song view:

You can highlight any phrase, then move, copy, delete or trim it:

There's a menu to split a phrase at current position or join highlighted phrases:

Or you can press "edit" to get to the piano roll editor, where you can also move, copy, delete and change length of notes:

You can quantize them here (there is record quantize as well):

You can also copy stuff from other phrases in your song, and perform other macro operations:

Of course, on the iPad all will be much larger and convenient. They should have an iPad version out in the next few months which will make use of the bigger screen.

My dream is when NanoStudio will add support for Line6 MIDI interface and add MIDI tracks in addition to the internal instrument tracks. When I see this on the iPad, I think I'll jizz in my pants! :-)
nsheldon

Re: The future of mobile sequencing?

Post by nsheldon »

That looks pretty impressive, actually.

--Nathan
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Yup! This is the future.. And it is good! I use this so much that I find no use for my MV-8800.. My Fantom still makes occasional appearances though as the sound pallet and the skipback is still very useful...
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

First NanoStudio update! V -1.1 ..Now with MIDI support!

Features:

* Audio copy/paste - both Intua and Sonoma standards
* MIDI file import/export
* Support for the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer
* Project import/export (self contained projects complete with samples packaged in a single file)
* Direct SoundCloud export from phone
* More mixdown options - individual track split, song regions, render tail option
* Pan controls in mixer
* Note preview in piano roll view when selecting and dragging
* Complete backup/restore of unsaved Eden presets when the app is closed or a call is taken
* Eden preset numbers now begin from zero, not one (this is to match preset changes made via MIDI)
* New (empty) global bank C for Eden
* Increased sample size limit to 8MB
* 'Loop on selection' feature in song editor - sets song loop points to the current selection
* Samples above 8MB can now be previewed in file dialogue (the first 20 seconds)
* MIDI input on Windows version
* NanoSync - Support for 24 bit wavs, copying folders and older PowerPC machines
* Snap to centre zero on pan knobs

Bugfixes:

* When an Eden controller is mapped to oscillator pan, it now takes it over the full L/R range
* Glide notes not recorded correctly (they don't overlap slightly as they should so they need lengthening afterwards in the editor)
* Drawing lots of notes in the pattern editor can result in a synth not responding until the project is reloaded
* Infrequently there is a hanging note (possibly when deleting a part which is being played), resolved by reloading the project.
* Chorus delay modulation destination doesn't work
* Using '&' in sample file or folder names causes the message 'The project file could not be loaded'. It may be possible to load your project's .bak file and then change any samples using a '&' in the file or folder name before resaving.
* Samples with a rate other than 44.1kHz do not play back at the correct speed.
* Vertical scrollbar doesn't behave properly when drawing in the pattern editor.
* Fix for first metronome beep not being played during count in at certain tempos
* Improved sequencer timing drift - now stays perfectly in time even when rendering a wav of any length
* Changed TRG-16 minimum release time so it doesn't sound different during resample/mixdown
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

* Audio copy/paste - both Intua and Sonoma standards
* MIDI file import/export
* Support for the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer
* Project import/export (self contained projects complete with samples packaged in a single file)

These four are terrific improvements!

It's amazing how quickly the developers push this software further! A great example for corporate management - which simply can't work this quickly (can't steer a big ship as you would a motor boat).

I can't wait for the iPad-optimized version of NanoStudio... sounds like they'll be adding more tracks there, including more Eden tracks as well as audio tracks.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Man, these updates are coming fast.. And there's more down the line.. Very involved developer... The sample interpolation was one of my main complaints but now it just sounds amazing..

NanoStudio V1.12

Here's the feature list:

* Support for Akai SynthStation 25 (iPhone)
* Song/metronome monitor during sample record (iPhone)
* Improved sample interpolation quality
* Smoother TRG envelope modulation
* Mixdown tracks now exports mixer channels (not instrument tracks)
* SoundCloud uploads are tagged with BPM value (iPhone)
* Performance optimizations (iPhone)

Free Windows/Mac versions are available now here.. If you don't have this, you owe it to yourself to try it free...

http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/nod ... mment-4203