The revolution continues!!! CoreMIDI ia coming with iOS 4.2

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

The revolution continues!!! CoreMIDI ia coming with iOS 4.2

Post by Artemiy »

Via AppleInsider:

The first beta of iOS 4.2 adds support for the CoreMIDI framework to the operating system's application program interfaces. This could suggest that future applications would allow new avenues for musical creation, and could also allow physical MIDI instruments connectors.

MIDI, or Musical Instrument Digital Interface, is an industry standard that allows electronic music machines to synchronize and communicate. With an adapter, a device like an iPhone could theoretically create and record sounds from a MIDI instrument.
nsheldon

Re: The revolution continues!!! CoreMIDI ia coming with iOS

Post by nsheldon »

Excellent!! It's about time. :-)

--Nathan
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

This is great news. I haven't bought and iPad yet, but am a long time Mac user. If iPads become MIDI'd and the software apps appear for it this thing will be brilliant. I hope that Apple will bite the bullet and port some form of Logic and Mainstage across to it soon, or allow it to integrate as a control surface. The potential is huge. As you know I'm a huge Logic/Mainstage fan so this would be good. Someone just needs to build a PRO LEVEL MIDI controller now with an audio interface built in, no more cheap plastic stuff etc. Apparently the Roland A-70 and A-80 MIDI controllers were that good that they are still sought after today! The Fantom G could be a great controller too, the hardware has it all, sound like from you guys are saying it needs a software update to better cater for this. A decent quality controller with an iPad dock built in would be interesting.
Septimo

Post by Septimo »

Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Looks good!
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Revolution? Huge? They have discovered the next new thing - MIDI - wow amazing - lol.

So now this new $700 machine can accept your gear just like that old $500 machine, the PC.

Except that you can multi-touch this $700 machine, just like that old $200 machine - the keyboard controller.

That article contained this quote...

"Other goals include providing MIDI I/O with highly accurate timing, as required by professional applications. This means from a musical point of view being able to get a MIDI event into and out of the computer within one millisecond, i.e., to keep latency under one millisecond, and also to keep jitter –– i.e., the variations in I/O –– under 200 microseconds"

Note the word 'goal' = not acheived yet, (and this is AppleMac).

Then I found this quote...

"“After doing a lot of research and development, I realized that the only way... was to build a dedicated piece of hardware that consistently provides the lowest latency and highest-quality audio. Audio cards, software, internal busses and operating systems each introduce too much latency,” said David Willyard, CEO of MusicianLink"

Dedicated piece of hardware - like a keyboard workstation?

My point? I'd say people are getting very carried away with the new toy 'revolution' and don't want the facts getting in the way.

To be getting excited about the implimentation of MIDI in 2011? I rest my case.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

MeNotU, the last time I checked, the smallest PC or Mac computer that is actually usable, weighted over 2 kilograms. Having the same grade of audio and MIDI in a 100 gram device, is a huge breakthrough.

With your arguments you simply sound like you're an ignorant hater, I am sorry.

Think of it like this... We have our today's normal car. If we can create the same car with 10 or 20 times less weight, this will be a revolution. And you will say it's a step back, which is like absolute rubbish. But this is how you sound now!
MeNotU

Post by MeNotU »

Lol, I'm analysing the facts and using quotes from leading people to back them up, you are sounding like an ignorant.

You haven't answered the issues, and have turned it into a weight issue - WTF?

Watch this and tell me it ain't a toy - lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzNjTR8O74
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

MeNotU:

Anything can be both a toy and a tool. Depends on who's using it and how.

"Quotes from leading people" - you mean Steve Ballmer? You should know he's very biased :-)

Seriously, you should try something out before you form your opinion. You are not doing yourself a service by letting someone else think instead of you. I have used all kinds of systems in the past 10 years - Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac, iPod touch, iPad. And I have my personal experience that backs up my opinion on each of them. I have used my iPod touch in commercial sound design and it's been a good success - so there go your "issues". So it works just fine in a professional scenario. What else do you need to know?

So far you just sound like a hater, and there is nothing to respect about it. Not getting it? Move on and do something good.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

I'm currently using iTM midilab on iphone. It gives me a wireless X Y control pad which transmits cc 18 and 19 over wifi to DAW.
Its a great tool and I can't think of anything else that can sit on top of my rig and do this.
Will the new OS allow me to do more and if so, what?

B4D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Blues4dog, as I wrote in the main message, CoreMIDI from OS X will come into iOS, which means standardized access to MIDI protocol across all apps. In the nearest future, we'll see a lot of apps which can be controlled via MIDI keyboards. I.e. you can use your iPhone or iPad as a synth module and sequencer and control it with a MIDI keyboard (+ knobs, sliders, etc.).
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Ah. I see.
Thing is, for me, I have more use for a controller working with MIDI the other way around in a live situation.
An app which would transmit wireless MIDI from the Lucina with say, 4 or 5 programmable cc sliders on the touch screen would be a dream come true.
Would that be a possibility with the new OS?

B4D

Edit: Actually Art. It would mean I could run Logic's instruments on the iphone right?
If so that would be even better. I could get rid of the laptop completely.

'Mainstage' on an iphone. Now that would be something.

:-)

B4D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

MIDI is going to be in both ways, in and out, of course. So you can control the iDevice or use iDevice as a sequencer or control source.

As about Logic - the iOS is a different beast from Mac OS X, so you can't use AU plugins in there for now. But once apps like NanoStudio or Argon support MIDI, we'll have samplers and synths which are not far from what we have on the laptops or desktops.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Thanks Art.

Sounds like exciting times coming. It will be interesting to see what the app developers come up with.

Cheers

B4D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

NanoStudio will support MIDI in the next update which is due in the next couple weeks. This is already quite a good start! I am now awaiting for the iPad version (will come next) and also looking up a battery-powered MIDI keyboard.