Which iPad to get

Forum for Apple iOS devices
EJ2

Which iPad to get

Post by EJ2 »

Greetings all,
I've been following the unfolding story of the iPad and the very cost effective music apps for a while now; but, I think it's time to jump in. My first thoughts were to get just a base model. I don't need all the extra 3G networking because I want to employ the iPad as an additional touch controller for my set up. Besides, I have a laptop and desktops for WiFi. However, I'm wondering if there is a significant difference amongst the different flash drives - 16/32/64 GB. In addition, I'm aware that the net generation will soon hit the market. So, a few more questions:
1. Which current model would be best for music applications?
2. Will the next generation iPad provide significant improvements for music? Is it worth the wait?
3. Does anyone believe that the late comers such as Android and it's successor 2.3 "Gingerbread" tablet will catch up with the iPad in terms of music applications? Or will they just be an extension of Microshit bloat?

Any other considerations or thoughts would help.
Cheers,
Jim
Rodan

Re: Which iPad to get

Post by Rodan »

I rarely recommend waiting to buy a new model, but in this case, I would wait. The iPad will get updated in 2011 and the changes from the very first model to the second model are usually significant. Of course there is no way to know if those improvements will have any benefit for musicians but at this point, I would wait.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Just an update. Has anyone heard/read about iPad improvements in the next generation due out in 2011? What's the word on release date?

Now, I am not interested in the camera, internet, word processing, email, etc. I'm mainly looking to use it as another control pad for various music applications.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The new model is rumored for March, although we should add 1-1.5 months to that for European availability. It will most likely have a front facing camera, and a bump in RAM/processor specs, although neither of these will make much difference for using it as a control surface or music sketchpad. Remember that they'll keep releasing iOS updates so you'll still get all the benefits as the future models.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Thanks, Art. That's what I thought. Maybe it's time to just jump in now. Of the 3 different (16, 32, 64 GB) which would you recommend for music apps etc.?

Edit: Just noticed that iPad 2 will have an SD slot. Looks like release info will be coming out in 2 days (Feb. 9).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Couldn't care less about the SD slot - I import photos into my Mac. Otherwise, gotta see the specs. Of course Apple will present everything in such a way that I will want to dump my iPad for the new one, and that feeling will persist for at least a week :-) But I will resist, I will resist...

I'd suggest the 32 gig model. Mine is 32 and is only filled with 20 gigs, 10 of which are cartoons. Even 16 is enough for apps only, although if you plan to do some audio recording with one of them, each gig gives you 1.5 hours.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Thanks again, Art. That's what I was considering, the 32 GB.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, the optimum choice! For the extra $100 you save, you can get Apple's awesome case and camera connection kit.
desernauta

Post by desernauta »

Is it possible connect the Fantom x to ipad with camera connection kit ?! I would use the fantom with korg ims-20 butI can not do this
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

desernauta wrote:Is it possible connect the Fantom x to ipad with camera connection kit ?! I would use the fantom with korg ims-20 butI can not do this
iPad will only work with class-compliant USB devices. Since Fantom-X is not USB-MIDI class compliant and requires a custom driver, it won't work.

Your solution is to get a cheap but class-compliant USB-MIDI cable, there's a plenty of them for $20-30. Then connect the Fantom-X with a regular MIDI cable into this USB-MIDI interface and then into the iPad.
desernauta

Post by desernauta »

Ok, like this http://www.synthtopia.com/content/wp-co ... -cable.jpg ?
My ipad, however, don't work with any Pen drive, too.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, this one will do, but make sure it clearly states that it's USB class compliant and requires no driver. If not sure, ask the shop sales team before making your purchase.

BTW iPad can only access photo and video files from an SD card, I am not sure if same applies for a USB drive. It's meant for importing stuff from a digital camera.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW while some say it's a disadvantage, I can tell you that in the last several years, I haven't used a USB drive for carrying data. Internet my flash drive. iPad builds itself around this paradigm, wireless data access from anywhere. E-mail or web storage does way better than a USB flash drive in 90% of cases.
EJ2

Post by EJ2 »

Artemiy wrote:BTW while some say it's a disadvantage, I can tell you that in the last several years, I haven't used a USB drive for carrying data. Internet my flash drive. iPad builds itself around this paradigm, wireless data access from anywhere. E-mail or web storage does way better than a USB flash drive in 90% of cases.
Not having worked with an iPad, I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

EJ, you can't plug in a USB thumb drive into the iPad like you would with your laptop. But as I said the iPad has another paradigm of storage and sharing. It itself is a flash drive, there are apps that make it a network drive and you can access it from my computer with wi-fi.