Akai SynthStation 49

Forum for Apple iOS devices
Artemiy
Site Admin

Akai SynthStation 49

Post by Artemiy »

http://www.akaipro.com/synthstation49

Now we're talking!

They also have SynthStation 2.0 on the way which will finally have a proper interface for the iPad. Can't wait!
Septimo

Re: Akai SynthStation 49

Post by Septimo »

Nice! I wasn't too convinced with the 25, but this thing looks like it has good quality build...
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

I have their MPK61. It has the best build quality out of the current crop of MIDI controllers (metal base), which is why I bought it. But it's keybed is quite resistant and heavy and I much prefer my Rolands to play. It also had a failing key contact right out of the box which I got warranty fixed. These type of things a great in theory, but if you're used to a Fantom's keybed, you may be in for a shock. Just sayin'.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, I totally get you. After the Fantom-G, it's really hard to play anything lesser. I really love it's key feel.
Leh173

Post by Leh173 »

Yep, this is the difficulty of going fully computer based. The MIDI controllers are not in the same class. My D-70 feels better than all of them! Roland make great feeling keyboards. A lot of people wish they'd make controllers again.

Edit: I should say pro level controllers - a50/70/80/90...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Well I've never used a A50/70/80/90 series controllers, but what's wrong with The PCRs and A-PROs ?
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

There's nothing wrong with the PCR/A-Pro but you've got to admit they are not built with the professional keyboard player in mind. Not to mention there is no weighted PCR/A-Pro keyboard and that the biggest is 5 octave "only". I do miss the A series thou and the way things are moving I believe Roland is losing great sales with the lack of it. I've mentioned this with Roland reps whenever I could and still don't understand why they don't care about it.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Sure, but they know how to do good keybeds, so it should only be a political decision...
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

@V-CeeOh:

I agree with you totally. The utter lack of quality in controller keyboards in recent years is an absolute abomination. The companies who produce this stuff should be ashamed.

I bought a Novation ReMOTE Compact 49 in 2008 -- and I sent it back because the keys cut my fingers. The key flanges had not been properly filed off, leaving rough edges that physically hurt me.

I have not since purchased a Novation product.

I'm also stupefied at how companies can get away with it. You know, we buy their software, and pump their coffers full of money. You'd tend to think that they might be willing to splurge a little bit on musicians. But they don't care. It's all about the almighty pound/dollar/kronor/ruble/lira/franc/yen... you get the idea.

- Sammy

@PauloF:

And I agree with you as well. It is ridiculous that we must put up with this. If I had some funding, I would start up a new company dedicated to MIDI controllers that would sell like hotcakes -- because people would enjoy PLAYING them. This is exactly why people like me never start up businesses -- because our intentions are too good and too pure. :)

P.S. And I don't care what anyone says -- I still think that the Akai iPad 49 thing there looks butt-ugly...
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

Novation should pack a rasp with the keyboard inside the box lol :D

I have some experiences with the CME keys, it has a loud clicking/crackling noise when playing dynamicaly onto the board.
But its bigest fail is the firmware itself....or the lacking of it even (buggy as hell)
I sold it after 4 month usage, it was so crap, the only good thing was the wireless midi!
SammyJames

Post by SammyJames »

@Nord72:

Got it (just looked up "rasp...")

:D

You're right. They should. Well -- they should just use Fatar instead of whatever Chinese factory that they use...

- Sammy